Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally charge the main traction battery to 80%, but once a month I try to charge it to 100% to balance the cells. The last two occasions the charge has stopped at 98% and 97% respectively. The timer still had about 2 hours left for possible further charging. My main concern is whether I have missed balancing the cells on the last two "100%" charges. Any suggestions why it should stop charging at 98% when 100% has been requested?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,888 Posts
Are you sure it is not the other way round? I mean, the car charged to 100%, but then stayed for a bit and lost 1 or 2%...

I don't know just thought this might be possible, I know that the niro doesn't seem to loose charge...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,155 Posts
I think the max SOC of the battery is 98% and when it is reached the display shows 100. But when starting the car it'll show 97% because the charge is cut off as soon as 98% is reached.

That is in line with what you'll see when you charge to 80%. It'll drop to 79% very soon since it reaches 80% only just and will stay at 79% longer,

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for your replies.
Previous full charges have reached 100%
In the first charge that did not I checked the charge on the UVO app before getting anywhere near the car and it was 98% when it stopped. I was afraid I might have somehow caused it to stop with the app so in the second case I avoided linking with the app until charging had clearly finished - app showed 97%!
I am not bothered if the cells have been balanced - but do not want my monthly effort at balancing the cells to be disrupted!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts