Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trade-in value

I am thinking of ordering my second i3 Rex next month for next March delivery.

I would like to know your views on the trade-in value of my i3 I have now.

Details. i3 Rex

First registered March 2015

Only three extras - Laurus Grey metallic paint. - Park assist package – DC Charge Preparation.

With very low mileage, less than 2000 miles.

I don't want to except a low offer by mistake. It depends on what extras I get on the new car by how much the trade-in price is.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I suggest you have a look at Autotrader for private and dealer prices. They will also do an online quote on your car against their data base. Only caveat being it is the listed price, they don't know what the final price that was agreed.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
My advice is to get quite a few quotes.

When I was selling my i3, I got the strongest offer from a BMW dealer and bizarrely the mikebrewerbuysyourcar website (he of wheeler dealers fame). It's like we buy any car, but they offer much better prices. £5k more than WBAC in my case.

It's worth asking more than one BMW dealer as well, there was £3k difference between two dealers I got quotes from.

You'll always likely get the best price selling privately, but personally I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,619 Posts
I have no idea but I also have a March 2015 registered car and it seems to have lost around half it's original value since I bought it, seems a bit low considering it still looks brand new, I won't be selling mine, it's worth far more to me than anyone will ever offer.

When the batteries eventually need changing I hope I can get a slightly larger capacity but I'm not holding my breath as it's not in BMW's interest to make a car better than the day it was originally bought.

Good luck with the sale (y)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,175 Posts
Trade-in value

I am thinking of ordering my second i3 Rex next month for next March delivery.

I would like to know your views on the trade-in value of my i3 I have now.

Details. i3 Rex

First registered March 2015

Only three extras - Laurus Grey metallic paint. - Park assist package – DC Charge Preparation.

With very low mileage, less than 2000 miles.

I don't want to except a low offer by mistake. It depends on what extras I get on the new car by how much the trade-in price is.
Might I just ask out of idle curiosity .... why are you wanting to trade in a 2,000 mile REx i3?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I would like an I3 with a bigger battery but I am not prepared to take a financial hit on an 18 month I3 with 8,000 miles on the clock. If owners are doing less than 2,000 miles per year, then I am struggling to see how an EV makes any sense at all. It would cheaper just to use taxis.

Even with usage of 5,000 miles a year, I have to convince myself that owning an EV makes sense. I usually justify it by telling myself that running costs are low, and wear and tear on an EV used mainly for short journeys is considerably less than that on an ICE.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Indeed and why on earth would you need a rex ? Maybe they just go out once a month on an 80 mile trip with no destination charging?
I would like an I3 with a bigger battery but I am not prepared to take a financial hit on an 18 month I3 with 8,000 miles on the clock. If owners are doing less than 2,000 miles per year, then I am struggling to see how an EV makes any sense at all. It would cheaper just to use taxis.

Even with usage of 5,000 miles a year, I have to convince myself that owning an EV makes sense. I usually justify it by telling myself that running costs are low, and wear and tear on an EV used mainly for short journeys is considerably less than that on an ICE.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might I just ask out of idle curiosity .... why are you wanting to trade in a 2,000 mile REx i3?
When I ordered my first i3 I couldn't afford many extras, now with the trade-in value of this car being a lot more than my previous trade-in I should be able to afford the extras I wanted last time.

And I do like that extra mileage on the latest i3.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Forgive me, I am not intentionally trying to be rude. The last 18 months will have cost you c. £15000 in depreciation or £7 per mile plus charging costs. You now want to trade in a 18 month I3 for a 2016 I3 that will no doubt depreciate at the same rate. If I was doing 20000 miles a year then the trade in would make sense, but at 5000 miles a year the maths don't stack up. Have you missed a '0' off your annual mileage stated above? At an average of 6 miles a day, you should only need to charge once a week as it is? The 'toys' are nice but not at any cost.

I hope to keep my I3 on the road until the 8 year point. If a 2017/8 battery upgrade becomes available then it is something that I would consider. Only by keeping the car for a number of years, can I amortise the depreciation.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't mind telling you even though some on here questioned why I wanted to change my car with such low mileage.

If for a two years old car you work on about half what you paid it, it was lower than I wanted and I was thinking of not going ahead with the deal.

Then the salesman suggested taking out a two year 0% finance deal with £3,500 off deal, I wasn't keen on doing that at my age but when he said I could pay it all off at anytime after the first month payment I jumped at it.

That £3,500 let me get all the extras I want.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,455 Posts
I don't mind telling you even though some on here questioned why I wanted to change my car with such low mileage.

If for a two years old car you work on about half what you paid it, it was lower than I wanted and I was thinking of not going ahead with the deal.

Then the salesman suggested taking out a two year 0% finance deal with £3,500 off deal, I wasn't keen on doing that at my age but when he said I could pay it all off at anytime after the first month payment I jumped at it.

That £3,500 let me get all the extras I want.
So what was your old car worth trade in?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I wish you well with your new car but I still struggle to understand the man maths. You have lost £15k in depreciation over 2 years. You have now entered into a PCP - albeit, with a £3.5k contribution - but you will paying a large amount over the next 2 years and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Had you kept your present I3, then after 4 years you would still have a car worth £8 to 10k with 4 years warranty remaining on the battery. What's so special about the toys?

·
Banned
511 Posts
Just read this thread....completely baffled, perhaps I'm old, perhaps I don't understand finance (although I retired at 44).
  • The i3 is not a cheap car to run out of warranty
  • to change after 2000 miles and 1 year 10 months ownership (I mean 2000 miles??)
  • approx 15000 to change plus another 15K in payments is about 30K every 4 years
This coupled with loss of interest and lack of any real "deal" on the car means in real terms about 8K per annum running costs.for 1200 miles per year......it would be far cheaper to use a Taxi. I do about 12K miles per year and I basically break even on the extended warranty cost with petrol savings (you definitely need the extended warranty after it's 3 years old). I don't actually save any money.

P.S Even if your journeys were 25 miles per week you didn't need a Rex, or a larger battery and if it's because you make 1 or 2 longer trips, it's cheaper to hire a car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did change mine - non rex 2014 to a non rex 2016 - got £15k for mine and bought another one, but a demo on well discounted with the optionals i didnt have on mine but wanted... mine had only 1500 miles on it but well happy with the deal

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Two people in one thread both trading in a 2K miles :eek:

Edit: And a third traded in with 1500 miles! What do i3 drivers do? Leave them on the drive and use their X5 :rolleyes:

I thought I was mad trading in my 12 plate Ampera for 64 plate when I had "only" done 24K miles, but the deal was very good :D

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Everyone's circumstances are different. I know a couple of people who basically have to change their cars every year or two or the tax man helps himself to it anyway. Also if you can afford it and want to why not? If cars need to be justified by cost over time there are almost no ev's that could claim to be sensible - not when you can get a pre-reg'd small hatch for around £5000 with loads of warranty.
Electric or not there's very little justification for buying a new car for £30k+ which will then lose many thousands in a year or two. If that was how it worked there would be no nice cars about.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts