Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in what i believe is the smallest district authority in the country, sandwiched between Worthing and Brighton City on the Sussex coast. When i leased my BMW i3 4 years ago the district was a charging desert, and as I can’t charge at home i had to travel a few miles into the city for the nearest 7kw charger, with the only Rapid about 10 miles away at Brighton Withdean stadium, at the time charging a whopping 55p/kw.
i am considering returning to an EV next year at the end of my current lease, so had a look at zap map for the first time in several years and found a proliferation of charging points in our little district. Firstly, 2 7kw pod points in the main town centre car park. Then 4 new rapids, a Shell at the Shoreham Beach roundabout, plus an Engenie in the Longshore restaurant car park on the other side of the roundabout, plus a Swarco in the Lancing leisure centre car park, and finally just on the edge of the district a Geniepoint at the Esso garage in Upper Beeding. So we now have more rapids than Worthing and Brighton combined.
i shall be happy using only the rapids for my 10k miles in 2 years.
Any thoughts on the best one to use for ease of use and reliability?

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
How often will you need to charge, and how reliably available will these points be available?
Where I am the Rapids are neither reliable nor available in sufficient numbers. But that's mainly due to lack of demand as most EV owners locally have home charging. Clearly your area is ahead of previously but is that because of increased demand? Also how do you think that will change over the period of your lease? From my perspective I wouldn't go back to having to make journeys out to refuel. What chance have you got of getting on street parking from your Local Authority?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definitely get the Zoe with the CCS option if you’re relying on public rapid charging it will be much quicker than 22kW AC and you have more options.

Not sure what chargers are at the locations you mentioned but Instavolt and Engenie can work just by tapping a contactless debit/credit card. Once you set up a Geniepoint account and link a card you can do the same, but for these you’ll be paying 30-36p/kWh for these 3. If you are charging regularly and there is a Polar or CYC rapid you can use then consider a Polar Plus subscription where you get an RFID and it’s 15p/kWh on a 50kW rapid and 12p on AC fast chargers for £7.85/month instead of 25p & 18p respectively.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts