Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything further about the use of the Transport Hitch Kit with transport boxes? I see the bike carriers are available, but the VW literature mentions

"You cannot tow anything with your ID.3. But you can mount bicycle carriers and, in future, transport boxes. "

Wondered if there was any news of this?

Also, anyone used the bike carriers yet?

I'm also guessing these hitches can't be retrofitted.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes the transport hitches have to be retrofitted. I had mine on order since placing my 1st Edition, 1st Mover ID.3. I picked the car up in September. Finally have been told that the transport hitch kit has arrived at the dealership. From looking at the details, there is quite a bit of work, such as removing the current rear number plate holder and cutting into the rear bumper, mounting a subframe, connecting up the electrics, etc.

Between you and me, I will use my current bike rack - an Aterra Strada. As long as VW haven't done anything stupid such as have a different ball size of the hitch!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, interesting. Please could you update here when it gets fitted? Seems a rarity so I may see what the cost is to get it retrofitted on an existing model. Sounds like labour could be quite high if the box weren't ticked at order time.

Presume you haven't heard anything about transport boxes...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,228 Posts
You can order a transport box from a number of suppliers.

Why would you want the VW one?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can order a transport box from a number of suppliers.

Why would you want the VW one?
Wasn't sure that any other would fit, so this is just standard attachment, and they'd be light enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know anything further about the use of the Transport Hitch Kit with transport boxes? I see the bike carriers are available, but the VW literature mentions

"You cannot tow anything with your ID.3. But you can mount bicycle carriers and, in future, transport boxes. "

Wondered if there was any news of this?

Also, anyone used the bike carriers yet?

I'm also guessing these hitches can't be retrofitted.
I'm planning to use the Thule Velospace XT2 that you can use with the Backspace XT. You can get 20% off at Halfords if you buy a £25 children's balance bike at the same time.

I've read about having to use 'VW approved carriers' although when I've spoken to VW UK they weren't able to provide any information on which ones these are.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks. Have confirmation from dealers that the hitches can be retrofitted so looking like there could be quite a few solutions now, thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
As I dropped off my ID.3 1st Edition for the ME2 software update, I was told they my dealership will also fit the transport hitch. So I'll comment on it later.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,228 Posts
Wasn't sure that any other would fit, so this is just standard attachment, and they'd be light enough?
This might surprise you but VW tow hitch accessories are normally supplied by a third party and branded as VW.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember something similar with the roof racks. Didn't know whether they'd gone proprietary with the connection.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I finally got my ID.3 back. It seems that the dealership had some difficulties once installing the transport hitch getting the electronics/electrics all registering right within the car and not disabling other things, they said that included the main lights. But they seemingly got help from VW and sorted it all. I got Software 2.0 at the same time.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,377 Posts
I finally got my ID.3 back. It seems that the dealership had some difficulties once installing the transport hitch getting the electronics/electrics all registering right within the car and not disabling other things, they said that included the main lights. But they seemingly got help from VW and sorted it all. I got Software 2.0 at the same time.
Got any pictures mister?!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Soon. Just waiting for it to stop raining/snowing/sleeting/...
Transport hitch fitted. There is a bag with the swan neck, keys for the swan neck and a pair of gloves!
IMG_3566.jpeg IMG_3567.jpeg
Then the rear bumper has had parts cut out, and done very nicely, with the flip down number plate:
IMG_3562.jpeg IMG_3563.jpeg
The insert has a protective plastic plug, and a 13-pin electrics connector:
IMG_3565.jpeg IMG_3564.jpeg IMG_3568.jpeg IMG_3569.jpeg
The swan neck locks on with a key (a spare is supplied) and the white flap covers the key slot.

All very neat. Now I have to try my bike rack, but I need a number plate for it.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,377 Posts
Thank you for that, looks really good!

I know it’s a bit crass to talk money, but do you mind if I ask how much it cost to purchase and then retrofit?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,377 Posts
Its in the ID3 accessories brochure £390 as a factory order and £850 fully fitted as a retrofit
Accessories part no: 10A092150
Ah ok, I’d seen them in the brochure as well, I just thought somehow they’d be more expensive to retrofit on the 1st.

That’s less than I thought it would be.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts