Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good review. Would have been great to understand why the doubling in price between the entry level and the demo car. Also would have been good to know about lead times and delivery schedules; both of which I have found out this morning on the Tesla web site.

Would be good to understand the multitude of charging options and application in real life - what would it take to charge from home ? How long would it take? Can it charge from Chademo, Rapid AC, CCS Combo etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback on this.

In terms of the difference between the ~£50k base model and the ~£100k fully loaded model, it is all about choosing the car for you. You spec it out as you want - which I think I mentioned in the video. The reason I didn't go into this more is that we could have easily spent the 20 minute video talking about all the possible options and not.

We're fairly lucky, I think, in that our audience is usually pretty clued up about EVs in general - unlike, say, a newspaper's audience. So we tend to avoid getting too bogged down in explanation of various things. For example, we didn't mention SuperCharging as we made the assumption that our audience will already know about Tesla's SuperCharger network. Although saying that, we could always do follow up videos if this is wanted.

As for the charging. We drove a EU spec version of the car. I don't know what the case is now, but when we picked it up at the end of Jan there was only one right-hand drive Model S in the country and that wasn't even road legal yet. Tesla is still getting a lot of the finer details finalised and this includes the exact information on charging. For example, the car is likely to come with a 13A lead, but no one is sure what power it will supply, be that 10A, 13A or something else. Maybe it will be switchable, maybe not. No one is sure yet. We avoided this topic as we didn't want to lead our viewers down the wrong path.

The same can be applied to the CHAdeMO adaptor. It is still undergoing testing and there is a chance, small though it is, that it won't make it to the UK market. So we didn't want to touch that. Of course, we'll report on it when it happens.

What I can say is that the car we had came with a cable that had an adapter head on it. With that we could swap and change connectors and use a variety of power sources from 16A commando to 32A 3-phase commando sockets. To be honest though, we mostly charged on a standard 7kW Type 2 charging station with some occasional 22kW (32A three phase) top ups at service stations.

The Model S will take 22kW from both the stand-alone AC posts and from the 'Rapid' AC charging stations.

Hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
625 Posts
Interestingly you can choose a CHAdeMO adapter on the UK Tesla site as one of the options for *cough* £2,000

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I am sure the 2k price for those without supercharging is an "incentive" to buy the supercharging option if your getting a 60kw car.

I am going to hold off on the CHAdeMO option for a few months and see if I really need it

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Also glad I got my type 2 to type 2 cable before ZCW closed shop, they are charging £500 for one, the only difference i can see is the Tesla one has caps on each end.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Agreed... I'd much rather charge at ~135kW than ~40-50kW :)
How many Tesla superchargers are going to be installed in the UK? I've seen some very clever marketing saying that with 300 mile range they only need 3 to cover the UK....

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How many Tesla superchargers are going to be installed in the UK?
As many as are required by customers.... Tesla are smart enough to realise that customers are important :)

When I was at Tesla recently it's clear that the bottle neck is personnel not cash... they are recruiting people for the European Supercharger rollout like crazy.

I've seen some very clever marketing saying that with 300 mile range they only need 3 to cover the UK....
I think thats exactly the point that @jontracey is making... range reduces requirement for charging infrastructure. I rarely use third party charging and only then when my trip is over ~175 miles :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
How many Tesla superchargers are going to be installed in the UK? I've seen some very clever marketing saying that with 300 mile range they only need 3 to cover the UK....
no idea yet, its not been announced. I have heard rumours of London Birmingham and Manchester but nothing concrete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts