Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks

So, after 7,000 miles of almost faultless motoring a disaster engulfs me this afternoon. I'd be grateful for some advice please:

• So I arrive at the Nissan dealers for a quick cheeky charge and there is their 7kw PodPoint post sitting there with a Type 2 cable already connected.
  • I could have lugged my cable out but thought no - they've been kind and theirs is there.
  • I plugged the cable into my car. Immediately the car went into a beep-beep-beep cycle and continued for 12 rounds. All three lights came on.
  • I tried to release the gun from the car to no avail.
  • Car still at the Nissan dealer
So what have we tried (me, then half a dozen Nissan dealer employees)

• Starting & stopping charge - Podpoint times out communicating with car
  • Rebooting PodPoint remotely
  • Switched PodPoint off at mains and back on again
  • Putting the LEAF on the computer - it reports no errors. It will not release when instructed to
  • Removing the battery
  • Using tool 2 in hole 1 and turning the screw a quarter turn clockwise - the screw will not turn
  • Swearing profusely
TIA

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yes awful for you. Anything in the trouble shooting section for you in the manual? I don't imagine it will help but the lock button...try putting it on then off again? Powering the Leaf off then on?

Can only imagine it might be the physical lock in the Leaf jammed though. May need to replace the lock or socket under warranty?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
How awful :(

I used to be a train driver and we had a just 3 things with us in the cab to fix everything...

- oil can
- rag
- hammer

First we'd oil it.
If that failed we'd wipe off the surplus oil
If that failed we'd hit it with the hammer

We were assured at train driver school that this would fix most things on the train!

:eek:

Seriously... that is awful. can't imagine how to release it if all those things won't do it.

No consolation I know but if they have to damage the cable at least it won't be yours. It does sound like a warranty issue though so annoying and frustrating but hopefully it should cost you. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Maybe someone else had this problem before you got there and had to leave their cable behind ? Have you contactedPod Point?

·
Registered
707 Posts
It sounds like there is a hatch lock in the Type 2 connector on the EV-side which is engaged and will not disengage. There are two types of locks with which I am familiar:

1) The solenoid engages the lock when the solenoid is powered. When power to the solenoid is terminated the lock disengages.

2) The solenoid engages and disengages the lock only with a small burst of power. Otherwise, there is no power to the solenoid.

As I currently only have hands-on experience with Type 1 at the EV-side I am unaware if the lock on the EV-connected Type 2 socket is triggered by action on the charging station or by action on the EV. (If someone can clarify this, then I would love to know.) I suspect that it's the EV that triggers this, since the socket locks can be varied.

Anyway, if the solenoid is like #1 above you should be able to remove the cable if you power-down the charging station and the EV. How to power-down the Leaf such that this could happen - if it is the Leaf that drives the lock - may require a call to Nissan. I'm not sure that simply disconnecting the 12V battery is enough.

If the solenoid is like #2, then you'll need to trigger this from the EV and/or from the charging station. Ensure that there is no stress on the latch/handle so that the lock can disengage - the locking pin needs to be able to move freely.

If none of this works (and it sounds like you've tried most of this already), then I am out of ideas other can calling Nissan for assistance.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes awful for you. Anything in the trouble shooting section for you in the manual? I don't imagine it will help but the lock button...try putting it on then off again? Powering the Leaf off then on?

Can only imagine it might be the physical lock in the Leaf jammed though. May need to replace the lock or socket under warranty?
Steve

Tried all of the above.

Suspect that the whole unit will need to come out and be skipped complete with the dealer's cable. I don't see me having the car back for our trip to London & LEGOLAND at the weekend :(

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyway, if the solenoid is like #1 above you should be able to remove the cable if you power-down the charging station and the EV. How to power-down the Leaf such that this could happen - if it is the Leaf that drives the lock - may require a call to Nissan.

If the solenoid is like #2, then you'll need to trigger this from the EV and/or from the charging station. Ensure that there is no stress on the latch/handle so that the lock can disengage - the locking pin needs to be able to move freely.

If none of this works (and it sounds like you've tried most of this already), then I am out of ideas other can calling Nissan for assistance.
#1 has been tried
#2 has been tried also. I spoke to the supplying dealer Benfield in Sunderland and they called Nissan right away for me - I think that the Nissan dealer's LEAF trained mechanic was a little surprised that I had his support guy on the line faster than he can get him :)

The fact that the physical locking screw will not turn does not bode well

I left the car with them, transferred to one of their FIAT 500s and will pick it up again in a few days (I hope)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe someone else had this problem before you got there and had to leave their cable behind ? Have you contactedPod Point?
Hi Geoff

I am thinking that someone DID have a problem with the cable before I got there and didn't report it. I suspect that this is what lead to my problems.

I am kicking myself as being a PodPoint it had a spare 7kw socket which I could have used but no, idiot me used the cable that was already there

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
That's rough when even the dealer can't get it out.
I presume that you can't unplug the charging stationed of the cable?

·
Registered
707 Posts
The fact that the physical locking screw will not turn does not bode well
Yeah, so it would seem that the locking pin is jammed either inside the cable's connector or somehow in the latch mechanism inside the EV connector. It will be interesting to know if the fault is with the Leaf's latch pin mechanism or with the cable's latch point.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect the latter
Yeah, so it would seem that the locking pin is jammed either inside the cable's connector or somehow in the latch mechanism inside the EV connector. It will be interesting to know if the fault is with the Leaf's latch pin mechanism or with the cable's latch point.
I suspect the latter

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yes. Cables have been reported as jamming in the charger socket by people before. Wonder if it recognised your car was not the one initiated by the card of the cable owner? Surely not?

But on forums elsewhere people have reported being able to extract the cable from the charger post.....with the help of a crow bar! If the dealer can be persuaded to try to gently lever the cable from the post first....it may then be that your car would recognise it is no longer plugged in and release it. Though I may be clutching at straws here!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anything in the trouble shooting section for you in the manual?
In the boot, alongside the tyre pump there's a toolkit. In the toolkit is Tool 2 (a long flat headed screwdriver with a loop at t'other end) After popping the bonnet, above the Type 2 connector is a D shaped hole. Visible through this hole is a screw which should be turned a quarter turn clockwise. DO NOT unscrew this screw :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Edit: reread the OP and now realise it's the car end that's locked.... sounds like a flatbed to the dealer :(

I'll leave my other comments anyway...

@Jason Wallace when you get the cable back take a dremel to your Type 2 connector and lengthen the slots so that you can pull out the connector even when the Charging Station refuses to release it. This may seem drastic but many people in Europe are already doing this and if I used a lot of public charging then that's what I'd do :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Folks

Garage loaned me a ICE while they fixed car. Tested all combinations of cars & cables and could not reproduce.

The cause remains a mystery but very glad to be reunited with my car.

Jeez - I'd forgotten how noisy those ICEs are - and that twiddle stick to make them go - what's that all about?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts