Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Electric 2020
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will travel through Belgium and France arriving in Dover and making our way to Hastings via M20 taking junction 10. We are totally unfamiliar with charging stations in this area. Need your help, where should I get a proper topping up of the battery, on a fast charge station and what card do I require to get access?
Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Moto
I'd suggest having a look at Zapmap. It's all on there, right down to real time info about whether the charger you're considering using is working/free to use. Pricing information is also shown. The card bit can still be something of a minefield, but someone whom is better informed than I will no doubt be along soon.........

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have not used any charging stations in that area, but from the ones shown in zapmap -

Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map

I would choose to use the Instavolt chargers - 50 kW rapid chargers - at either the 'Bannatyne Health Club and Spa' at Folkstone - post code CT19 4RH - or at the Bannatyne Gym Hastings, post code TN37 7QG.
The Instavolt charging is activated and terminated by using a credit or debit card.

There are also some other chargers in the area which can also be seen using zapmap.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Second vote here for Instavolt - extremely reliable, no daft app or website registration, just tap a contactless credit card to start and stop charging. The ones at Bannatyne clubs are accessible for free - just let them know in reception that you're using it.

·
Registered
Kona Electric 2020
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not used any charging stations in that area, but from the ones shown in zapmap -

Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map

I would choose to use the Instavolt chargers - 50 kW rapid chargers - at either the 'Bannatyne Health Club and Spa' at Folkstone - post code CT19 4RH - or at the Bannatyne Gym Hastings, post code TN37 7QG.
The Instavolt charging is activated and terminated by using a credit or debit card.

There are also some other chargers in the area which can also be seen using zapmap.
Thanks for your input, Instavolt appears 'plonkerproof', just like filling up with diesel.

·
Registered
Kona Electric 2020
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/QUOTE]....The ones at Bannatyne clubs are accessible for free - just let them know in reception that you're using it.
[/QUOTE]
That's even better! Mind you, i don't worry so much about the cost of charging but I keep everything crosed hoping these charging stations are fully operational by the time I get there with a nigh flat battery?

·
Registered
Kona 64
578 Posts
You are right, the choice of cards is dazzling and for foreigners near impossible to get hold of one.
I have the same problems when taking my Kona to France and as for IZIVIA! Instavolt are great and Bannatynes in Folkestone will sell you a decent coffee whilst waiting. The Folkestone location is only a kilometre or two off your route.

·
Registered
Kona Electric 2020
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a look at the IZIVIA website clicked on Union Jack but all in French unfortunately. Have you got any advice on where to fill up in or near Calais or Dunkerque?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,127 Posts
Had a look at the IZIVIA website clicked on Union Jack but all in French unfortunately. Have you got any advice on where to fill up in or near Calais or Dunkerque?
Try looking at the site using Google Chrome. It can auto-translate web pages.

·
Registered
Kona 64
578 Posts
Sorry, to confuse, no we do not have IZVIA in the UK, I wish France did not either, they are unreliable.
I travel south from Calais towards Rouen and the only charger I have used in Calais is at the Eurotunnel terminal, they are free. But you are using the ferry I think and arriving from the north? There are chargers at the Cité du Europe shopping complex at Calais I understand but I have not used them.

·
Registered
Kona 64
578 Posts
One of the few things Facebook does better (apart from videos of cute animals) is the ability to follow a FB page in another language and get translations. I follow a French EV site on FB and my knowledge of the French vernacular for motoring and EV terms has increased dramatically. I have also picked up some handy french swear words.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Chargemap app or website was great for Europe when we did a long trip in the summer. They show virtually all chargers and have a system for paying a lot of them if you get their card, which saves the muddle of lots of cards/apps for different providers. The payment scheme doesn't cover very many in the UK, though they show location, etc for most chargers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Will travel through Belgium and France arriving in Dover and making our way to Hastings via M20 taking junction 10. We are totally unfamiliar with charging stations in this area. Need your help, where should I get a proper topping up of the battery, on a fast charge station and what card do I require to get access?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Hi Moto
I'd suggest having a look at Zapmap. It's all on there, right down to real time info about whether the charger you're considering using is working/free to use. Pricing information is also shown. The card bit can still be something of a minefield, but someone whom is better informed than I will no doubt be along soon.........
In "filters", under "payment", you can select contactless/credit card chargers, and free chargers.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
497 Posts
www.Abetterrouteplanner.com is good for planning trips. You can put your car in, preferred charger types and plan places to stop en-route. It shows you hown much charge you will arrive with at each stop, how long charging will take and what %age you should charge to for your next leg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts