Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the recent cold mornings, I've noticed a couple of rattles and buzzes coming from bits of trim. One is a bit vague and I haven't found the source yet but the most persistent is the small speaker grille on the A pillar.
Has anyone else noticed this and if so have you managed to fix it?

·
Registered
361 Posts
See this thread and the solution my dealer applied to fix it (still good nearly two weeks later I can report) Wind noise with sun roof

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Appears a common issue - noticed same a few weeks ago - sounds like you're driving through a cloud of small insects with lots of little 'clicks'. Is apparently trim around the screen.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
but the most persistent is the small speaker grille on the A pillar.
Has anyone else noticed this and if so have you managed to fix it?
Appears a common issue - noticed same a few weeks ago - sounds like you're driving through a cloud of small insects with lots of little 'clicks'. Is apparently trim around the screen.
I have ( along with a few others) have this very same issue.
At first I though it was the actual "A" pillar white trims rattling.
But then after a while, I discovered the rattle was something inside of the speaker grill.
It was a little less on the passengers side, but it did affect both sides of the car.
By tapping on the speaker grill with the back of your knuckles, I could reproduce the rattling noise even when the car was at a complete stand still.
I decided to remove the speaker grill with a small trim tool and then disconnected the speaker wire connecter.
With the speaker trim ( with speaker still inside ) by shaking it from side to side, you can hear the metal body of the speaker rattling inside of the plastic trim.
When I unclipped the speaker, I was surprised to see that the speaker had no gasket and the speaker was clearly loose in the speaker surround.
You could then remove the speaker and fit either some thin felt or even apply a very thin strip of electrical tape around the edge of the speaker surround.
This will stop the speaker rattling around in the plastic surround.
Refit the speaker to the surround and repeat the shaking from side to side test.
Rattle now gone.
Reconnect the speaker wire and refit the speaker to the white "A" pillar trim, it just snaps back into the "A" pillar trim - Done !.
Another common trim noise ( which I do still have ) is that small "Ticking / Creaking" trim noise, that comes from different points of the front of the dash panel when the body flexes.
Really more prevalent when the ambient temperature is low.
The common perception is that noise is caused by the hard rubber gasket is in a hard foul condition on the outside face of the front windscreen glass.
The seal runs right across the width of the front screen, it is attached to the top of the front windscreen wiper scuttle panel and can be clearly seen while standing outside of the car.
Apparently, lubricate is applied to this seal to cure this strange ticking condition.
Not sure what type of lub is used, it maybe a silicone based produce ?.
I would be really fascinated to see some of this so called magic "Silence Tape" and MORE interested to know where it is installed !.
Can anybody offer some insight on this subject ?.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
Appears a common issue
Its all relative, I mean we've had about 3 or 4 folk mention it on here. I think maybe 2 over on the FB group. So not so much common as known thanks to the power of the interweb.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Will it work on my knees?
If only it could, I would be ordering a lorry load !.
I only hope the tape is of better quality than my now two year old total knee replacement.
I sincerely hope and pray that my other "Mum & Dad" knee, never needs replacing.
Absolute pants, still in pain !.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thank you very much for providing the link (y).
This is stuff that I applied myself around the side and front edge of the tweeter to create a gasket between plastic on plastic in the housing and around the edge of the plastic grill trim that it clips into (I had to cut down to very thin strips) and the A pillar. So its interesting the dealer just used something similar on the A pillar itself, if I didn't want to risk it coming back I'd pull one off and check it out for you guys, but its made such a difference to my appreciation of the car, I'm staying well clear and hoping it stays as is!

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
This is stuff that I applied myself around the side and front edge of the tweeter to create a gasket between plastic on plastic in the housing and around the edge of the plastic grill trim that it clips into (I had to cut down to very thin strips) and the A pillar. So its interesting the dealer just used something similar on the A pillar itself, if I didn't want to risk it coming back I'd pull one off and check it out for you guys, but its made such a difference to my appreciation of the car, I'm staying well clear and hoping it stays as is!
It would be very interesting to see where the dealer has installed the tape to the rear of the "A" pillar trims ( if indeed they did ).
But it is totally understandable that you would be risking the rattle to return when you have JUST got shut of it, is a large step too far !.
Thank you for the kind offer.
I have ordered some of the tape now to add to my collection.
When the weather improves, I want to cure that clicking / ticking noise from the dash panel.
Don't get me wrong, it's not really THAT bad - but it just interrupts the silence in the cabin !.
First world problem of owning a silent EV I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts