Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning the car nearly 3 months, I’m still puzzled by the apparent lack of this basic useful feature. Am I being really stupid and missing something somehow?

All cars (and bikes!) I’ve had going way back had a simple resettable trip meter. My last car even had 2 independent ones, in addition to the standard odometer.
Yet I don’t see one on E-Niro. I know there is the cumulative ECO/mileage screen (which is resettable but I don’t want to reset that as the long term consumption data is quite interesting). Then there is the auto (daily) resetting version of the same thing. That would do if I could only reset it at will, but I strangely can’t see any way of doing that. Suppose I want to start a new journey mid way during a driving day and measure the distance. I can’t find a way of doing this very basic task. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
According to the Niro user manual, while viewing the daily info, a press on the OK button will reset the numbers.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't pick my 4+ up until 29/12/2020, so I cant physically look, but is this any good.
Thanks but no it isn’t. See next reply.....
Peter

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't pick my 4+ up until 29/12/2020, so I cant physically look, but is
According to the Niro user manual, while viewing the daily info, a press on the OK button will reset the numbers.
Thanks but that’s just my point, you can’t manually reset that daily screen! I’ve tried the ok button press, nothing happens (on that screen, it works on the accumulator screen, which I don’t want to reset). Am I missing something here?
Peter

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Peter, sorry, but I have no hands on experience yet.
No worries. Thanks for taking the trouble. Don’t get me wrong it’s a fabulous car and I’m loving it on the whole. However, it does have quite a few peculiarities (in my mind at least)

Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,746 Posts
Well, I think the problem is more of a misunderstanding of the system. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying Kia are trying to do something with only 2 meters, that other cars have achieved with 3. :unsure:

I'm using the accumulated as you: long term info. But sadly, it is only supposed to be a "trip meter" as we know it: manual reset and then collect data. Other cars have a life (or long) trip meter, manual trip meter and in the last PHEV, refuel meter.

Looking at that, Kia actually is missing the life/long trip meter. :(

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I think the problem is more of a misunderstanding of the system. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying Kia are trying to do something with only 2 meters, that other cars have achieved with 3. :unsure:

I'm using the accumulated as you: long term info. But sadly, it is only supposed to be a "trip meter" as we know it: manual reset and then collect data. Other cars have a life (or long) trip meter, manual trip meter and in the last PHEV, refuel meter.

Looking at that, Kia actually is missing the life/long trip meter. :(
Ok thanks for that. Though I’m not sure I agree, they even call it accumulated don’t they? So it is intended to be a long term screen, not a frequently resettable one. So if I want a simple resettable trip meter the only way is to sacrifice the long term accumulated data? Bonkers!

So why the phoook didn’t they just make the daily trip meter screen resettable with a simple push of the ok button so as to leave the accumulated screen as is?!!! Such a simple software solution that would then satisfy everyone. The hardware reset button (OK) is already there but it does absolutely nothing in that screen. Why on earth would they not make that screen resettable? So ruddy frustrating Grrrrr!

Peter

·
Registered
721 Posts
Surely the "Drive Info" screen is what you want. It resets after every trip, although it assumes you're on the "same trip" if you resume driving within an hour* of ending your previous trip.

*My estimate, not sure of the actual algorithm used.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surely the "Drive Info" screen is what you want. It resets after every trip, although it assumes you're on the "same trip" if you resume driving within an hour* of ending your previous trip.

*My estimate, not sure of the actual algorithm used.
That screen would be perfect, if I could reset it whenever I want. I thought it only reset itself daily?? It’s very possible I might want to record a distance from a point now onwards during a journey. Waiting hours for it to reset is no use at all IMO. It could so easily be fixed in software.
Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,746 Posts
@prawlin I understand your frustration. But the point I'm making is that they have merged the long with the manual trip meter. Kia have left the choice to the user. I'm claiming this as the other "drive info" meter is automatic and not manually resettable, exactly as the "refuel" meter.

@DragonQ It doesn't actually reset unless the car is stationary for more than 4hr. So, technically it is a "daily drive info" screen.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
808 Posts
It doesn't actually reset unless the car is stationary for more than 4hr. So, technically it is a "daily drive info" screen.
Well, not really. I frequently make trips to a destination, spend more than 4 hours there and then return home. Many trips mean going up into the mountains first and then getting back to sea level. The 'trip' meter does not allow me to see the overall consumption which sort of irks me. No biggie, but yes, it's a niggle.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,746 Posts
Well, not really. I frequently make trips to a destination, spend more than 4 hours there and then return home. Many trips mean going up into the mountains first and then getting back to sea level. The 'trip' meter does not allow me to see the overall consumption which sort of irks me. No biggie, but yes, it's a niggle.
Yes, that is what the "drive info" is supposed to do: reset after the car has been stationary longer than 4hr. Kia did not call it "daily" trip meter, I said that it can be used as one, with the condition of no more than 4hr stay.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The whole thing is a surprisingly poor implementation IMO. I’m surprised this hasn’t become a very frequent complaint issue on here if I’m honest.

Peter

Reactions: Fred Gray

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks but that’s just my point, you can’t manually reset that daily screen! I’ve tried the ok button press, nothing happens (on that screen, it works on the accumulator screen, which I don’t want to reset). Am I missing something here?
Peter
No, you're right, Peter. The daily trip meter resets automatically after 4h off time. The accumulator trip meter as well as the average consumption display and the driving style can each be reset by pressing OK. Obviously strange Korean logic at work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts