Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently returned home after a trip to Austria in my six week old Nissan Leaf 62kWh. I thought I'd summarise my experience and also my thoughts on the car now that I've been able to spend some time in it.

Overall it was a good experience and I'd definitely drive to the alps again (avoiding France...) The main issue we had was the useless French charging network

The Trip

Good stuff
  • German roads
  • Austrian roads
  • German rapid charging network
  • pro pilot eliminated fatigue and made the 1700km round trip easy
  • Eurotunnel
  • free chargers at Eurotunnel terminal
  • getting a Shell / NewMotion and a Maingau before we went
  • rapid chargers in supermarket car parks
  • standard of driving in Germany, Austria and Belgium
  • very relaxing journey
  • remembering to put extra charge in the batteries to cope with climbing to 1800m

Bad stuff
  • COVID forcing last minute changes to travel plans
  • French rapid charging "network" - old, sporadic and badly maintained
  • needing so many different RFID cards
  • not having a Kiwi card, meaning that lots of French chargers were unavailable
  • locations with only one charger
  • Tesla only destination chargers at hotels :cautious:
  • finding hotels with chargers
  • arriving at our hotel and finding that two of the three chargers were Tesla only and that the non Telsa one was occupied
  • only getting ~20kw at rapid chargers due to the 35-40ºC heatwave 🥵
  • feeling guilty when a family of four arrived two minutes after me starting a charge and then only drawing ~25kw for an hour 😬
  • seeing empty, unused Tesla chargers everywhere and feeling like a second class citizen
  • being an idiot and forgetting that the Leaf can only draw 6.6kw from 22kw AC chargers

Neutral stuff
  • Teslas are very popular and a common sight on French, German and Austrian road networks
  • Renault Zoes are somewhat popular
  • didn't see another Nissan Leaf

The Car

Good stuff
  • pro pilot is fantastic on long drives
  • the seats are comfortable
  • CarPlay works well
  • car feels fast, loads of power when overtaking
  • very quiet interior
  • 200+ mile range at 65 mph / 105 kph
  • massive boot

Bad stuff
  • I hate the analogue speedo - so archaic, why did Nissan do this!?
  • key information (speed, trip, economy) is split across multiple screens
  • EV charge timer settings are located in dashboard display operated with steering wheel buttons - why isn't this accessible from the big display?
  • 12v outlet socket looks very cheap
  • camera is slow to respond, occasionally takes up to 10s before it displays. weird.
  • climate information doesn't always show on display when changing temperature
  • economy definitely lower than rivals, e.g Renault Zoe
  • "air cooled" batteries when doing a road trip in a 40ºC heatwave 😂
  • getting 20kw at rapid chargers :sleep:
  • Chademo already feels like obsolete technology when you see Ionity chargers everywhere

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
arriving at our hotel and finding that two of the three chargers were Tesla only and that the non Telsa one was occupied
Did you try the ‘Tesla only’ chargers. More often than not they work with non-Teslas.
seeing empty, unused Tesla chargers everywhere and feeling like a second class citizen
Maybe someone is trying to tell you something?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,114 Posts
If Nissan had added even forced air cooling from the cabin the Leaf 40 and 60 would have been far better.

Certainly brave to take one so far (y)

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
618 Posts
I recently returned home after a trip to Austria in my six week old Nissan Leaf 62kWh. I thought I'd summarise my experience and also my thoughts on the car now that I've been able to spend some time in it.

Overall it was a good experience and I'd definitely drive to the alps again (avoiding France...) The main issue we had was the useless French charging network

The Trip

Good stuff
  • German roads
  • Austrian roads
  • Eurotunnel
  • very relaxing journey
  • remembering to put extra charge in the batteries to cope with climbing to 1800m
Bad stuff
  • arriving at our hotel and finding that two of the three chargers were Tesla only and that the non Telsa one was occupied
  • feeling guilty when a family of four arrived two minutes after me starting a charge and then only drawing ~25kw for an hour 😬
  • seeing empty, unused Tesla chargers everywhere and feeling like a second class citizen
  • being an idiot and forgetting that the Leaf can only draw 6.6kw from 22kw AC chargers
Neutral stuff
  • Teslas are very popular and a common sight on French, German and Austrian road networks
The Car

Good stuff
  • CarPlay works well
  • very quiet interior
  • massive boot
Bad stuff
  • EV charge timer settings are located in dashboard display operated with steering wheel buttons - why isn't this accessible from the big display?
  • camera is slow to respond, occasionally takes up to 10s before it displays. weird.
  • Chademo already feels like obsolete technology when you see Ionity chargers everywhere
Thank you for going to the time and trouble to post this excellent report, will give an insight for anybody else thinking of doing a similar trip.

I have a 62Kwh LEAF and fully agree with all your comments and observations, that analogue speedo, certainly retro, never use it myself, just don't like looking to the right, just want to look straight down. Always have the digital speedo up, which makes a good centre point to quickly navigate the essential menus and return back again.

What the 62Kwh is good at, is smoothly eating up those miles with minimum fuss.

Shame it doesn't have battery cooling for the very long trips, but it is what it is, the ultimate compromise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you try the ‘Tesla only’ chargers. More often than not they work with non-Teslas.
Maybe someone is trying to tell you something?
First thing I tried! Sadly, they were definitely locked into Tesla only mode.

If Nissan had added even forced air cooling from the cabin the Leaf 40 and 60 would have been far better.
We did wonder (as we were sat charging... with the air con running...) why Nissan couldn't have just diverted some of that air to flow over the batteries. I'm sure it could have helped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always have the digital speedo up, which makes a good centre point to quickly navigate the essential menus and return back again.
I always have the digital speedo up too and find myself switching between that and the trip meter. It's like the Leaf has all of the information, but just not in the place you want it when you want it.

What the 62Kwh is good at, is smoothly eating up those miles with minimum fuss.

Shame it doesn't have battery cooling for the very long trips, but it is what it is, the ultimate compromise.
For me, the Leaf 62kWh is better than the 24kWh one that it replaced, but it's definitely a compromise car. It's cheaper than a Tesla (which feels to me like a "dad" car) but doesn't have their subsidised super charger network. It has a nicer interior. than the Kona or e-Niro, yet it doesn't match their fuel economy or have liquid cooled batteries. It was also readily available and didn't have a nine month waiting list.

Maybe in 18-24 months an Audi e-tron 55 will be in my price range!

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
243 Posts
Hey @natalie. We did a 1300mile minium round trip from manchester to cologne via calais and rotterdam in our gen1 leaf with a muxsan extender.

We didnt have a kiwhi card either. They seem impossible to acquire too since the online form will not complete for people outside of france.

Got a speeding fine in Aachen largely due to an outdated satnav and not being able to switch from miles to km like my old mk1 insight would at a button push. Also i was very tired and probably trying to find a charger but i cant really remember. We got caught in the covid quarantine deadline and ended up having to fill stupid forms in online and self isolating for 14 days.

Anyway we went to muxsan to have our yearly checkup on the car. There are some cool things they are working on wrt charging like ccs2 and chademo 2 upgrades plus a 3phase charger and other stuff i can not talk about yet. But as a 62kwh owner you have the potential to put another 17kwh in yours whereas i couldnot due to weight limits. Best i can do with mine is swap my old 24kwh pack for a 40kwh, but infact a 30kwh pack in decent condition would change my charge speeds dramatically. Anyway thanks for the headsup of your experience.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Excellent write up very interesting and reassures me my future decision regarding cars is correct.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tesla is popular in Germany indeed, and you see them more on the motorway than in cities. The opposite is true about Zoe.

If I’d have a 200km daily commute, I’d switch to a Tesla tomorrow. Zoe can do it, but... nah... it’s not a globetrotter. In cities, though, Zoe is ubiquitous.

thanks for the tip about Kiwi in France! Leaving for France in less than an hour and totally forgot about it!

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts

The Trip

Good stuff
  • German roads
  • Austrian roads
  • Eurotunnel
  • very relaxing journey
Bad stuff
Neutral stuff
The Car

Good stuff
  • CarPlay works well
  • very quiet interior
  • massive boot
Bad stuff
Interesting, I used to do trips like that a few times a year in my ICE cars, probably wouldn’t do it in the e-Golf, but it shows that for occasional long trips like that you can do them perfectly well as long as you’re realistic and accept a few compromises.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts