Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that we'll be having twins in December and we already have a 2 year old are there any large MPV hybrids or EVs out there preferably with three isofix points in the back? I have checked the Outlander Phev and it only as two.

Our leaf is up for renewal in May 2015.

Very likely we'll have to abandon isofix for seatbelt and top tether mounts, as few cars appear to have three points in the back. Honda CR-V and C4 Grand Picasso do have.

Already started to prepare the wife that we now have to get a Model X to accommodate the new family. The model S while having three ISO fix points doesn't appear to allow them all to be used at the same time. You can have two outer in use or middle and an outer in use.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Firstly congratulations....!

Very few cars on the market will have the central rear seat with Isofix, due to the width of the seats, even more unlikely in an EV.

The Outlander would be the best option out of the current crop to fit in 3 child seats with or without IsoFix.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I was quite surprised that the model s only allowed two used at a time. From the diagram it looks like it has 5 mounts evenly spaced which would explain it. It would certainly be easier to use a seatbelt option on the outer seat than in the middle.

The leaf does allow a seat to be used in the front with the airbag off and scored highly in tests which was one of the things we checked when we bought it.

Child occupant
Based on dummy readings, the Leaf was awarded maximum points for its protection of the 18 month infant in the dynamic tests. The passenger airbag can be disabled to allow a rearward facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. However, information provided to the driver about the status of the airbag is not sufficiently clear. Permanently attached labels clearly warn of the dangers of using a rearward facing child seat in that seat without first having disabled the airbag.

At the moment the Phev does seem to be my only option. The i3 is definitely out :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Passat Hybrid is the only other upcoming Hybrid that I can think of that may have enough room for 3 car seats, not sure yet on ISOfix config though.... However that will be a saloon so lose a bit of access at the rear for a triple buggy!!

You could look at a Volvo V60 PHEV.... but unless Volvo reduce the premium they charge for the Hybrid you may as well pre order the Model X.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi there,

A Leaf would certainly be too tight for three kids in the back (two with bulky childseats) - but remember that if your 2 year old is big enough by December, a simple non-isofix child seat would be sufficient.

There's no requirement to have isofix for the older child, and it just adds bulk to the seat which may not be necessary.

I'm waiting for the qashqai EV before we have any more kids! :)

Anyway, just a thought!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could look at a Volvo V60 PHEV.... but unless Volvo reduce the premium they charge for the Hybrid you may as well pre order the Model X.
I had a V60 previously (not a Phev) it was the 1.6 and was very very frugal driving it like the leaf got me 72mpg on one trip.

When we went to the dealer in our leaf he was very interested in the leaf and asked us about the V60 phev, but I did have to point out that I could buy a Leaf and an XC60 for the same price.

I am going to borrow some friends non-isofix seats to see if I can get three across in the leaf.

Someone has managed it here

http://busymommymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/leafphoto2.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
I remember this topic on another car forum I used to frequent and this solution was recommended.

EDIT: I've just clicked through on the "order now" button to see how much these were :confused: £1,299 !

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I remember this topic on another car forum I used to frequent and this solution was recommended.

EDIT: I've just clicked through on the "order now" button to see how much these were :confused: £1,299 !
So, what price do you put on the safety of your children? ;):D

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
I know, and I have bought a series of very good Britax child seats for my son and willingly paid a premium price for a quality product...even so, I wasn't expecting to see quite that hefty a price tag - I guess low volume production has a downside.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Just recently taken delivery of the Outlander. Not what you asked for but looks as though there are 3 isofix mounts. Two in the back, and the passenger seat. Probably not what you're looking for though, as you effectively lose all hope of carrying an adult passenger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts