Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get an Ioniq, and a podpoint charger installed at home. The problem is where to put the charger. In the obvious place, it would be easy to use and close to where it's needed. However, this would result in the cable lying across the main way up to the house door. I'm worried that milkman/postman/visitors might trip on it. Any solutions? Am I worrying too much?

The alternative position would be more awkward to install (further from meter), and would need at least a 7.5m charging cable, which would be more difficult to use.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
this would result in the cable lying across the main way up to the house door
I'm assuming you mean the tethered part of the cable? If so I would have said that's a no no. If it's there sometimes and not others, that's even more of a trip hazard and it'll get kicked, trodden on and generally worn and it's not armoured for that kind of treatment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's the tethered cable I'm worried about. Putting a drain in would be too much work - it's a concrete drive. Would a cable cover help? I could try to park right to the side to encourage visitors to walk down the other side of the car, but could do with a way of blocking it off properly.

Would dealing with a 7.5, possibly 10m cable every day be a pain? (And why do podpoint charge £250 for upgrade from 4.8m to 7.5m tethered cable, the same price as their separate 10m cable? £250 just for 2m extra flex? Ridiculous!)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Putting a drain in for a tethered cable wouldn't work if you are constantly holstering and charging as you would have to lift the lid on the drain to get it in and out anyway. Cable cover always helps but again, you would have to be inserting and removing the cable.

Could you rig a spare socket on a post or somewhere suitable near the car so you could holster the charger there and leave the rest of the cable in situ?

If that was your solution though, I think I would be looking to cut a small channel into the drive surface large enough to accept the cable anyway thus removing all possible trip hazard.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
And why do podpoint charge £250 for upgrade from 4.8m to 7.5m tethered cable, the same price as their separate 10m cable? £250 just for 2m extra flex? Ridiculous!)
Guess they probably make them all 5m as standard in the factory so a 7.5m is a special order. They may have to remove the 5m cable and install a different length so it's not just the cable but the labour?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
An "Outlander" friend got a socket charger (not tethered) and purchased a 10M cable as that was only viable solution for their layout. Maybe worth considering?

·
Registered
525 Posts
We have a 10m cable. The biggest faff is winding the cable back onto the charger when not in use; at our last house we didn't bother, it just lived extended along the drive all the time, but we moved last year and it would be in the way now.

If we were doing it every day I would have to think of a better solution because it would drive me crazy...

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
My cable runs parallel to the car on the drive. I make sure it's close to the car so people can't trip on it without making an effort. If you run it close to the car then it shouldn't be too bad.

If it has to cross over a path then one of those cable cover thingies might be ok if it is kept at ground level.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I just put the door mat over mine if its at a time of day there might be visitors.
You could do similar, or park close to the charger so that you'd walk round the car the other way.
Or have a temporary barrier you can put up to force people to walk round.
Or a couple of cones.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Post a photo and let us see the layout. Ensures we are all on the same page talking about the same thing. Screenshot from google streetview would even do.

When i ordered my rolec charger i wanted a longer cable. In the end i just bought the cable, and swapped it myself. You can sell the old one, or in my case, use it for a portable EVSE.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You would be best off, based on your description, having the EVSE installed on a post near the car's typical parking location and paying the cost of having a cable properly put in the ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts