Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to some recent health problems I am going to have to get a mobile valeting company to clean, polish and valet my car. Goes against the grain as I have always done it myself. I figure if I have a really good job done on the car I will be able to keep it smart myself in future.
The company I will use ask about the cars paint types as they have different types of materials of snow foam, polishing and waxing for paint types.
Can anyone give me an idea of the paint applied to the Amperas please so they can recommend the best materials to use. Mine is Chrystal Claret which looks stunning when waxed and polished.
(I am a bit fussy about materials used on the car anyway).
EDIT - I see there were 3 paint options on the car at not insignificant prices,
Brilliant Paint,Two coat metallic and tri-coat premium
Thanks
Phil

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,553 Posts
If I remember rightly irrespective of colour all the cars have coat(s) of clear lacquer to protect the paint finish, It may just that they need to know if it is:-
Solid (only Black or the Summit (Brilliant) White option,
Two-coat metallic - Sovereign Silver, Cyber Grey, Power Blue, Silver Topaz
and the Tri-coat Metallic - Chrystal Red or Lithium White.
I would think it was safe to say just to let them know it is Tri-coat metallic.
Brochure

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm fussy about washing the car, and it pays off as it can look stunning. An old guy (even older than me) told me once that its best to wash your car in the rain. In a way he was right as the water is soft and is perfect, I use an easier method though by using rain water from a water butt with a pump. (I'm not good at getting to the point, but here it comes). The company I was going to use to give my Ampera a professional clean and valet only use a jet wash, I was under the impression that a jet-wash can damage the paint by forcing grit into it (or something) and there is always the chance that it could force water into the charge port or other areas.
I know some aren't fussy about washing their cars and that's fine with me, but is anyone else on the borderline obsessive like me who would give an opinion. Am I too fussy or do I look elsewhere?
While I am here can anyone recommend a mobile vehicle wash and valet in South Essex?
EDIT I came across a company that washes and valets cars without water NO2H2O, puts my water butt to shame. Anyone know how that works? Humorous replies will be tolerated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Not sure how they work as such, they have to use some sort of base liquid probably water then there are addiatives soaps and waxes that lif offf the dirt and polsih the car. in this case we have 'nano technology' buzz word hard to test without an ekctron microscope on hand. Well known brands are selling them so it must work to some degree.
I use a jet wash on mine as I live in the sticks with mud and horse poo it's diffused and at low pressure. after that two buckets or local hand car wash.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info @black_amp. I spent a while last night looking on TrustPilot and I was horrified at some of the reviews, seems its hit and miss. A large company near me had a great deal of complaints about damage to cars paintwork. Some of the professional looking web sites are the same company which is a bit odd. Ive given up now and will have to find a way to do it myself I think.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would caution about using any old local mobile valeting company, I would recommend someone who is listed on the Pro Valeters and Detailers website. In theory they should take good care, two bucket method, with snow foam and microfibre mits used.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much @Simonj found the site Professional Valeters & Detailers - Skilled Proven Insured and from what I read its very encouraging, there are some close to me. Now I realise the only problem is ME! I'm reluctant to let anyone drive the car (collect and deliver), I would have to lecture them about parking with the wheels in line etc, to be honest I think I need therapy. Thanks again, Im looking into it (and having a word with myself).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts