Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At first glance this looks really very interesting.

Tronity looks interesting and useful in its own right, but what’s really good is the link up with A Better Route Planner so that ABRP automatically knows the cars battery level and is able to more accurately calculate consumption etc.

This 'live data' mode is already available for Teslas using the Tesla login, and for various other cars using OBD dongles, but using Tronity requires no dongle. (This is especially positive for people like me with a car where the OBD port is already occupied by the Onto equipment.)

I’ve manage to get Tronity set up in all of 5 minuets and it’s already linked up with ABRP - quite excited to try this out on the next length journey I do.

Downside is that Tronity isn’t free - although you get 2 weeks free trial as standard (I’m on this now). I didn’t realise it, (or I would have looked around for a referral code!) but they have a referral system where if you use a code you get a 4 week free trial. My link is below if anyone would like to take up that offer.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
157 Posts
Plan on doing some more substantial journeys in a couple of weeks so might sign up then. Interested to hear your feedback though and if it’s worth paying for it after the trial ends!

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plan on doing some more substantial journeys in a couple of weeks so might sign up then. Interested to hear your feedback though and if it’s worth paying for it after the trial ends!
Sounds good - might be a few weeks until I make another decent journey unfortunately.
Although I might make a trip to check out the Gridserve site if I get a chance soon... so will use this for that trip if it happens.

I need to try and work out what the tangible benefits are of having the connection with ABRP. Unfortunately, due to limitations of the i3 software (and most other non-Tesla and non-Korean cars I think), I gather that Tronity and therefore ABRP can’t get full detailed car data during driving via this method (without using an OBD dongle), and so live calibration of energy consumption isn’t available.

Whether that matters much or not I’m not too sure about.

If I was able to use the OBD port in my car I’d probably wouldn’t bother with Tronity and instead use the free Electrified app with ABRP.

Just to add, I definitely think ABRP Premium is worth it (you can turn it on and off month by month). I’ve been using ABRP for quite a while now complete free and so I’m happy to support them and it’s development with the subscription because it’s honestly made making longer trips so much easier and practically eliminates any range anxiety for me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't know about ABRP, never used it. However, Tronity looks interesting so I signed up (thank you for the referral code!). I'm not sure if it is worth paying for but I like all the stats and things it gives. Because I've only been running it today I don't have much, but the range of my Zoe has been absolutely zapped in the cold weather so had to do a quick top-up to ensure I got home. I am quite impressed with the charge curve graph (from an Ionity charger):

I think usually you need a dongle to get this sort of information.

We'll see if it provides any more useful insights after I've done some more trips and charges.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Tried it for a couple of days. So far, it seems to be spitting out junk data.

My journey over to the Lakes yesterday shows the right start and end points, but not the right start and end times. It also shows I used 0kWh and drove at 2700kph over the 90 mile journey.

When I add up everything listed under 'trips', it misses about a third of the milage, and most of the battery usage. It does identify two rapid charges - interestingly while my receipts say 8.94 and 6.9 kWh, Tronity thinks it was 10.17 and 3.92. ( I could understand if both were a little less than billed, representing charging losses, but 12% more and 43% less?!).

Not sure if it's a Tronity or Renault glitch, but bascially pretty much all the numbers are nonsense!

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried it for a couple of days. So far, it seems to be spitting out junk data.

My journey over to the Lakes yesterday shows the right start and end points, but not the right start and end times. It also shows I used 0kWh and drove at 2700kph over the 90 mile journey.

When I add up everything listed under 'trips', it misses about a third of the milage, and most of the battery usage. It does identify two rapid charges - interestingly while my receipts say 8.94 and 6.9 kWh, Tronity thinks it was 10.17 and 3.92. ( I could understand if both were a little less than billed, representing charging losses, but 12% more and 43% less?!).

Not sure if it's a Tronity or Renault glitch, but bascially pretty much all the numbers are nonsense!
That’s a shame - I wonder if any of that was to do with poor mobile signal.

Might be worth an email to Tronity to see if they have any ideas.

I haven’t had a chance to try it much at all yet. Haven’t even got any home charging data yet in the app as the car is still plugged in and sat on 100% and BMW don’t seem to refresh until it’s unplugged!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Good shout. I'll try to get in touch with them and see what they say. It's amazing how much data is garbled - my 7kW charge this morning is showing as 50kW in the charge curve!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good shout. I'll try to get in touch with them and see what they say. It's amazing how much data is garbled - my 7kW charge this morning is showing as 50kW in the charge curve!
So did mine! It only shows 7kW after it stopped charging (I left it plugged in for ages after the stop time). The kWh consumed data under the graph appears to be correct (the flat bit at 28kW shows that it has charged 0kWh in the table), so I think it must be a bug in the calculation of kW, unless they get that from Renault. Weird, as the DC graph the other day looked fine.

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a bit of data now, from the Tronity web app. (Unfortunately, the link with ABRP seemed to break itself so I couldn’t make any use of that yet.)

A few things immediately stand out as needing addressing:
  1. Consumption figures shown in each individual journey are clearly very wrong
  2. Need option to show consumption as efficiency instead (ie. mi/kWh)
  3. Need temps in °C
  4. I can’t work out how to correctly set up and add custom charge point pricing.

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How’s anyone else getting on with Tronity so far? I’m hardly using the car at the moment, so not getting much chance to collect data or test the integration with ABRP.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
157 Posts
Just spent a long weekend away from home and did about 400 miles. Haven’t tested it with ABRP yet (though I imagine it needs a decent amount of tronity data to be useful anyway), but tronity itself so far appears to be okay. Is picking up charges and stuff okay, and its map of where I have been, as well as journey consumption data, appears to be very accurate.

Tapping in to an individual journey and Tronity seems to be getting data from the car every minute.

Was going to moan about the lack of charge curves, but I just found them. Interesting drop in charge mid-rapid charge here... 😂

·
Registered
1 Posts
At first glance this looks really very interesting.

Tronity looks interesting and useful in its own right, but what’s really good is the link up with A Better Route Planner so that ABRP automatically knows the cars battery level and is able to more accurately calculate consumption etc.

This 'live data' mode is already available for Teslas using the Tesla login, and for various other cars using OBD dongles, but using Tronity requires no dongle. (This is especially positive for people like me with a car where the OBD port is already occupied by the Onto equipment.)

I’ve manage to get Tronity set up in all of 5 minuets and it’s already linked up with ABRP - quite excited to try this out on the next length journey I do.

Downside is that Tronity isn’t free - although you get 2 weeks free trial as standard (I’m on this now). I didn’t realise it, (or I would have looked around for a referral code!) but they have a referral system where if you use a code you get a 4 week free trial. My link is below if anyone would like to take up that offer.

View attachment 138063
Hello is ABRP premium only allow to connect with tronity or the free version is ok ?

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There’s now a Tronity iPhone app, complete with Home Screen widget, which is quite handy

(Tronity is the top one. For some reason ABRP, the bottom widget, is not showing the Tronity data)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts