Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a number of reports recently where Leaf owners have not been able to charge using their type 2 cables on public charging stations. There has been a recent firmware upgrade to the Leaf which has altered some of the charging protocols but it is not known at this stage whether the problems are related to that update.

Personally I have only charged with the type 2 cable at one station and that is a POLAR station at my local Waitrose and I have not had any issues in spite of having had that firmware update applied.

Nissan have tweeted that they are investigating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Paul I'm a bit naive with the charging cable malarkey, I have the brick 3 pin supplied with the car, I have the 3.3kw charger on car, can I buy a type 2 cable separately and plug into a 32amp point to charge?? I've got a bit confused, buying a different cable would open up loads more charging points. Thanks

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
can I buy a type 2 cable separately and plug into a 32amp point to charge??
Yes, you can buy a 32A "Type 2 to Type 1" cable and plug it into a Type 2 Charging Station. This will charge your car at 16A which is the maximum current used by a ~3kW charger.

16A Type 2 cables do exist but should be avoided because some Charging Stations have problems with them.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your car has just a 16A charger (Mk1 Leaf, Ampera, Mk2 Leaf without the 6kW upgrade) then there is no better solution. You car will then only charge at 16A max even if you plug it into a 32A or more circuit as the charger can only charge at 16A max.

If you have the 6.6kW upgrade on the Mk2 Leaf then if you buy a 32A Type1/2 cable (rather than a 16A one) then your car will charge at up to 32A from one of those Type 2 posts. If you buy a 16A Type1/2 cable then the cable will restrict your charging to just 16A max even though the car can do up to 32A.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts