Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
There are many EV charging service providers in the marketing, and they providing services with a different explanation, some times it would lead to confusion to new users馃槚. This survey presents two kinds of explanation, and visual design to the same tariff, we are keen to know which one is easier to understand and more friendly to the first time users. For making a user-centred service, your opinion is important馃挭! Thank you for your time and patient.

Check this link and rate these ideas:
Try the new ideas for EV!馃殫

Registered
No no no, what is needed is scrapping all the tariff / membership / app / monthly charge systems and having a contactless credit card debit card system throughout the world which can be used anywhere.

Any more crappy membership or app based systems need to be taken aside and put out of their misery.

I take it you have never needed to sign up to useless app to buy petrol or diesel on a cold wet windy night. Think then stop being silly.

Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
As well as echoing what has already been said about getting rid of apps and subscriptions, the survey suggests a 拢68 Monthly unlimited tariff.

I don't have home charging and exclusively use public charging. Despite doing a high mileage not even I would pay 拢68 a month to sign up to this! I assume this is some small network starting up, so that price would be even less attractive as you are then locked in to using only one small network's small number of chargers/posts in a small area.

Even with a larger, national network I would be unlikely to commit especially for the price. Not only is it expensive but it's giving me less choice in a world where chargers are still limited, sometimes blocked, other times broken. I need to be able to pull up in front of any charger anywhere in the country, tap one single card on the reader and be charged a reasonable price for the usage.

Registered
The survey is only concerned about how clear the ridiculous proposal is. It's very clear. And also makes it clear that hardly anybody would be interested in using the various services proposed. When are providers going to realise that EV drivers just want to arrive at a Rapid as if they were arriving at a petrol pump. They want to find the Rapid clearly marked and signed to prevent ICE drivers 'accidentally' blocking the bay. They want to be able to plug in and touch a credit /debit card to a screen to start the process and pay for the exact number of kWh's drawn at a tariff marked per kWh.

If a provider desperately wants to pander to app fanboys then, by all means, allow that so that they can hang around in the rain holding their device over their head to try to log on to a flaky signal and hope that the server will communicate with the Rapid that they are stood beside.

But they would be better served by using an app to advise users of the status of all their Rapids. Liaising with established sites like Zapmap to ensure that real-time data is available about whether a Rapid is in use or is broken. So that app fans and even technophobes can check the status when planning a stop from 10 miles away. That would be a good use of an app. Using one to start a charge is not.

Then there is the ludicrous belief by power providers that people want to join a 'club' in order to refuel their car. And pay subscriptions hoping to gain a few pence. Just set a per kWh tariff and forget such back-office intensive systems. Eventually, touch card access and payment for ad hoc charging will be the standard. Wasting time and money by resisting this will be regretted.

Registered
MG EZS 2020
Reactions: Woodulike

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
My suggestion for clarity would be for clarity and a bit of clear clarity:-

"Pay At Charger; 33p/kWh".

"The "Pay at Charger" service means that you pay at the charger. There is a price to pay at the charger, which is on the charger, it will say "33p/kWh".. Just use a contactless card and pay at the charger."

I would say the best explanation is the clearest and least ambiguous .. ;)

Registered
MG EZS 2020
Is this 'click-bait'?

Registered
Probably, so now I give surveys a wide berth unless a link to recognised website is provided and the OP clearly states what info is asked for and why

Registered
I keep saying and will not stop: you cannot make money from buying electricity from another company and selling it to consumers. A gas station does not make money on the gas it sells (barely 3p/litre?), it makes money from the foot traffic the gas pumps bring, it makes money from what people buy in the store.

With electricity you have an even lower profit margin from charging itself, because first you buy electricity like any other company and then you're trying to sell it in a competition with other charging providers. Unless the business moves upstream (energy generation, think of BPs exploration arm), there's no way the network will make money.

When someone wants to charge their car, you have them captive for a much longer time than a gas station would a regular car driver, so use this time to part them with their money; added services, not through charging only. Charging should be the lure, not the business.

Registered
Exactly @evescu . You need to know if you are selling the sizzle or the sausage and build your business accordingly!

As others have said, the way ahead must surely be through contactless debit/credit cards, no app, no RFID, just plug in and pay for what you use.

and while you鈥檙e people are charging, what an opportunity to up sell other stuff especially drinks/food etc. That鈥檚 the profit 馃憤馃徎

Registered
So what you鈥檙e saying is we set up a business that gives away free charging but has a subscription model for buying coffee and cake?

Who鈥檚 up for the 拢69 per month unlimited cake tier?

Registered
So what you鈥檙e saying is we set up a business that gives away free charging but has a subscription model for buying coffee and cake?

Who鈥檚 up for the 拢69 per month unlimited cake tier?
The subscription invalidates the NHS diabetic treatment cover on your insurance, unfortunately. Would you like that with cream? :LOL:

Registered
The subscription invalidates the NHS diabetic treatment cover on your insurance, unfortunately. Would you like that with cream? :LOL:
Maybe you can protect it with an additional payment, a bit like protecting your no-claims bonus?

Registered
Thinking out loud:

If the charging hub has flimsy battery underground (can be non Li-ion, it's too expensive) and charges overnight at 7p/kWh (if you're a large consumer, you're more likely to be paid during the night to use up electricity), then charges up a Model X 100D during the day (being off-grid storage, one can make DCFC charging much easier), that's 700p for the variable cost for charging, so 拢7 for the electricity. So I'll give you two options: pay the 拢7 plus fixed costs, say total of 拢12 for the charge (which is still far cheaper than competition) OR buy your lunch inside for 拢20 with the charging included. You'll maybe get a pack of ciggies too, and maybe a bottle of water for the road or play some slots, I dunno.

The opposite would be to charge a Model X 100D at 33p/kWh, that'll cost you... hang on... my skill is not that good... 拢33, right? Or... go and charge at the Supercharger for 24p.

Hmmm... Elon, hold my kefir.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts