Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum as I'm trying to research our first hybrid purchase to the nth degree! Am moving from a 12 plate golf TDI which I've just sold and have decided on the GTE advance as it really well specced and an intro to ev driving.

I've been searching autotrader mainly with occasional checks on eBay for a GTE advance in white/silver for between £17-18000 in an 18 plate (or newer which is unlikely). There are a couple of examples up now at that price that haven't done a crazy amount of miles - I think around the 40k mark would be the maximum I'd be willing to have. Back in June they were mostly selling for £19-21,000 but prices have lowered since.

Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for in used models?
Should higher mileage options be avoided?
Also is the ride still comfortable with the big 18" wheels?
Any tips when buying approved used?

Many thank

Nas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I have a 2018 - 18 plate Advance and have had it from new. Before that I had a 2015 Audi A3 e-tron. I like the PHEV style of motoring. I really like the GTE and it's a great car. Yes the 18 inch wheels do make the ride harder than the standard GTE, but it is still good. It crashes a bit on bad road surfaces and potholes but I found changing the tyres from the original Bridgestones to Goodyear significantly reduced road noise. Others will say the same and probably Michelin cross climate are even better. It hurt spending money on new tyres when they were not worn but it was worth it.
My car has only done 22k and I will look to change it at roughly next spring when it comes up to 3 years old. It is a complicated car, but the power unit has been around since 2015 so it is pretty well sorted. But, I would recommend buying a VW extended warranty for peace of mind and cost effectiveness when buying used. If big things do go wrong then it can be expensive. My A3 e-tron had around 40k on the clock when I changed it for the GTE and I had not had any problems at all.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Check to see if the battery recall has been done. It is a free job but can take a few jobs. Some cars get a new battery others get a basic repair done.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My GTE is a lease which I've had since new (Sept 2017 - 67 Plate). Its going to be going back once my E-Tron arrives in mid November and I have inquired as to its value. The car is a GTE Advance in Oryx Pearl White with no other options. Its just had and passed its first MOT and its 3rd annual service has also just been done. All four tyres have also been relatively recently replaced. I can confirm the battery recall was carried out with no additional work required. I think it would be a really good 2nd hand purchase having only done 23k miles and i'd guess 60-70% of those on pure electric. The lease company said the cost to buy from them in October was £18,600 - I suspect that will go down slightly in November.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As said the ride is tyre sensitive - I fitted Dunlop Sportmaxx and they are great

Try and find one with the heated seats

If you get a car that has >=40K miles check the DSG service has been done

VW extended warranty is well advised and very cheap!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. I had researched a lot about these cars but wasn't aware of the dsg oil change needing done at 40k miles.

I went to look at a really nice GTE advance yesterday from a guy who was selling privately. Was an 18 plate with 28k on the clock. Silver with perfect paintwork and alloys. Will have to haggle him down £1500 as have a limited budget but hoping we can get a deal.

David is that a car that you are selling or one that you've kindly found?

Thanks

Nas

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good ones are definately out there.
I've only had mine about 10 days but am really impressed with it.
I paid just under £20k for a 2018 Advance (10 months manufacturer warranty remaining) and 12000 miles on the clock.

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I went to look at a really nice GTE advance yesterday from a guy who was selling privately. Was an 18 plate with 28k on the clock. Silver with perfect paintwork and alloys. Will have to haggle him down £1500 as have a limited budget but hoping we can get a deal.
If it's a nice example and with full history and you could get it for £15,000 - then you should be called "Dick Turpin" :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@David Sims . Thanks for your suggestion, I've put a deposit down!

Quite excited to get the car now and hopefully it's as they described.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts