Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had my Nissan leaf for a month now and just trying to plan my first long journey. The Nissan journey planner suggested it would take me nearly 18 hours. This is not practical for a 36hr visit. Any advice on planning?

I'm going from Pontyclun, South Wales to Burton-upon-Trent, Midlands.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I would recommend this as this is what I have done when travelling up to the Midlands.

Pontyclun to Michaelwood services. You should arrive with about 20%. Rapid charge to 60% in about 15mins.

Michaelwood to Gloucester services rapid charge to 80% in about 20mins.

Gloucester services to hopwood services. Rapid charge to 80%.

You should easily arrive at your destination. Hopefully you can charge there.

On your way home you will have to travel from hopwood to Michaelwood in 1 hit. I recommend rapid charging to 90% as it's about 60ish miles between both rapids. Also keep your speed about 55mph if you are going to use the heater.

Remember when you increase your speed above 60mph energy usage is greatly increased.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dean, I may have to charge at Sarn first as Cardiff West may still be out of action.

I also have to hope I can charge from my parents house directly (non closed circuit).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Why Sarn? If your traveling from Pontyclun that's the wrong direction ☺ you can easily make Michaelwood from Pontyclun if you keep your speed below 60mph and keep heat to minimal use.

Also I think Cardiff West (DC Chademo) is working but the AC side isn't. But it's best to phone Ecotricity to confirm this.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I would not recommend the M50 as you would have to turn back on yourself on the M5.

Magor services to Hopwood Park is 85 miles so no way in the LEAF. Especially with all the inclines in Monmouth and being on 70mph roads most of the way.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I thought Hopwood was down and had been for a while?
AHH it's still down!?!?

The only thing I can recommmend is charging at the Birmingham Nissan dealer south of Hopwood Park. You could miss out Gloucester services then and do it in 2 rapid charges.

Check for opening times though and the Nissan dealer and if it's OK to charge.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Or you can get from Gloucester Rapids (x2) to Warwick Services M40 (x 4 rapids) without any difficulty. Very pretty route direct too.:),

·
Registered
640 Posts
Don't think there's a good route with the current chargers down.

Logically the infrastructure would take you up the M42 but without Hopwood you are struggling.

I would probably try heading for Hilton Park (Ikea Walsall is only one charger so very busy?) then cross country A460/A5/A5148/A38? No Frankley doesn't help, but it shouldn't be impossible.

Three weeks ago I went Barry -> Gloucester on 85% (100->15) and Gloucester -> Hilton Park on 77% (80->3 should really have charged bigger than 80% though... was trying a "lean charging" strategy...), but it was dry, not windy and warmer.

On the outgoing leg I managed Hilton Park to Michaelwood on 85% (90->5).Again dry and not windy plus warmer though.

Charge big, drive slow. If running long to / from Hilton Park try following a lorry. Not close for the slipstream, just to keep your speed down. It's too easy to watch the SOC vs Miles to go (I always set up the satnav for the next charge) and get complacent about how well it is going. The hilly bit of the M5 south of Birmingham can induce a bit of range anxiety as the SOC falls... Northbound I could have bailed at IKEA but "went for it". South I had the option to bail and get to Gloucester Northbound, but I'd "recovered" enough to feel comfortable by then.

Whatever you do, Good Luck!

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
Hi,

I've had my Nissan leaf for a month now and just trying to plan my first long journey. The Nissan journey planner suggested it would take me nearly 18 hours. This is not practical for a 36hr visit. Any advice on planning?

I'm going from Pontyclun, South Wales to Burton-upon-Trent, Midlands.

Thanks
At the moment I would not rely on charge stations working, it would best phone them up to find out latest info otherwise could be let down.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Googlemaps says it's 162 miles via the Severn Bridge. That should be a total journey of about 5 hours, including charging.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Is Lunch en-route possible where there is a 7kw charger? (assuming you have 6.6kw on board charger in your car?)

This has got me through a rapid gap before whilst making good use of the time needed for slower charging.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Should be a great journey, plenty of options to overcome broken chargers. I tend to stop at every rapid on the motorway and charge to 80% that way if the next is broken you have options. Much better now they have doubled up many. Zap map is my most reliable source of info. Paul Chuchleys protoype planner is excellent but I cannot be sure his open charge map source is always correct.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice, I didn't attempt it in the end. I'm using too much energy to keep warm in the car at the moment and 5+ hours after a days work just wasn't really doable. There really needs to be more options for charging on the way. Feeling a little let down by the network at the moment.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Thanks everyone for your advice, I didn't attempt it in the end. I'm using too much energy to keep warm in the car at the moment and 5+ hours after a days work just wasn't really doable. There really needs to be more options for charging on the way. Feeling a little let down by the network at the moment.
Unfortunately this generation BEV really isn't for long distance driving. It is possible, but you have to make compromises.

I have driven 280+ miles on the first day I picked my car up, also I have done 250 mile trips to Manchester airport. It is possible but really does add alot of time on your journey.

When 150-200 mile range EV's become common place in a few years things will get easier. Still there is no denying that the rapid charge infrastructure still needs improving but remember it has come along way in the last 18 months (Thanks to @Ecotricity @NissanGB).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts