Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to take delivery of a MG ZS EV. I was really annoyed about the lack of schedule charging, and my Chargemaster did not have any smart features. I'm on a Octopus GO tariff and in order to take advantage of the night savings I needed to find a solution; I could either get a "smart" charger, or mod my current one to make it sort-of smart. I opted for the latter.

Here is a picture of the main board removed from the unit:

(Note that I broke the AC current sensing transformer when removing the cables, which I subsequently replaced)

In my case I have Hive Heating at home, and as part of the welcome pack I also had an Active Plug that I never used, so I decided to repurpose it! The smart plug needs a +5V supply, that can be tapped directly on the capacitor just under the relay. After weighing my options I decided to use a DC-DC converter fed from the GSM terminals on the main board of the charger, with the +5V output feeding the Active Plug board. The mains terminals of the Active Plug need removing and in order to use the on board relay the big power resistor next to it has also been remove. Some powerful soldering iron is required for this.

Here is a picture of the unit before fixing it back to the wall and re-plugging the mains and the earth.:

The relay from the Active Plug switches the "CP" signal from the charging cable to the car, and it works like a charm. Now I can remotely switch the charger on/off and I can also program it to whatever times I want. This only works if you have a Hive Hub but there are other similar smart plugs out there that can probably be used just fine.

This is the DC-DC converter that I've used: DC/DC Converter Regulator 12V Stepdown to 5V 3A 15W Car Power Supply Module UK 602701126173 | eBay

Similarly, this mod will also probably work on other chargers as long as there is an onboard supply available, and with the use of a DC-DC converter it's almost guaranteed that it can be done.

Hope it helps those with the same issue I had! Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Interesting. I take it you know about 'Smartgate'? (MG's don't seem to start charging unless they are trickle charged all evening.)

You might want to have a change over relay, similar to me: Smart fix. Failed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I take it you know about 'Smartgate'? (MG's don't seem to start charging unless they are trickle charged all evening.)

You might want to have a change over relay, similar to me: Smart fix. Failed.
Hadn't they fixed that with the latest update???

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hadn't they fixed that with the latest update???
Not sure. Some here say they can make it work with a granny charger, but the thread I linked is people complaining about the fix needing a 6 amp trickle charge all evening to keep the car awake.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,718 Posts
I had been planning to do similarly for the Fluence, a simple timer that I was considering installing so it turned the signal lines on and off, as if the lead had just been plugged in ... the Fluence had no timer charge so it was a case of plugging in just before bed time in the dark, if you wanted to maximise off peak/low CO2.

It was my first shock "why no timer on these" "Oh, you car has that, so charge points don't need timers." "errr, nope .... ".

·
Registered
3 Posts
good mod, on another note, you couldn't check the spec of the 2 blue resistors please ? and also is this a 3.6 or 7kw version ?
you could also add a sonoff wifi switch instead, probably cheaper ;)

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts