Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67:30 Black
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the drive-in cinema. I can't find a way to turn the day running lights off on my 67 plate leaf 30?

Not going to be popular later when it's proper dark.

Need the car power on for the radio as that's how we get the audio.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah, cracked it. Just can't start up with the traction battery engaged.

·
Registered
2017 Flame Red Leaf 30 Acenta
269 Posts
I suspect the question is can you turn on the radio without turning on the car. Rather than how can you turn off the day time running lights, which are a legal requirement these days. In new cars certainly. I think.

Sorry. That is a proper rubbish answer.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
And how do you prevent the radio draining the 12v?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't. And the car turns itself off every 5 minutes too. Frustrating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Top tip. If you ever go to a drive through, take some tape to put over the lights.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can you not turn on power without depressing brake pedal and get the radio but without day lights? Can in e-Niro. There's also utility mode to use the main battery for powering devices rather than the 12v.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I did in the end. But there's no utility mode on the leaf so it kept turning off every 10 mins. Mildly irritating.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In many cars including ICE ones there's usually 2 key or power button stages before engine ignition. First press of button will give you radio but turns off after set time, second press or turn of key turns on system including lights, instrument panel, air con, etc, but radio doesn't turn off. In this stage I would use utility mode. Are there 2 levels of power button press without brake pedal?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, I'll had a fiddle tomorrow. 2 presses without brake pedal gives you 10 mins before shutdown. I'll see what happens after 1 press.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Surely, if you select 'sidelights' when the ignition is on normally, that's all you get. That would seem to avoid dazzling other cars.

Reactions: arkranium

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,670 Posts
If you select side lights, maybe they will be dim enough.

I tend to leave my cars on sidelights rather than 'auto', ever since my car (Soul) decided to 'flash' someone out in front of me while I was doing 60mph. ..... No, dear, the lights coming on WEREN'T an invitation to you to pull out in front of me and check my emergency brakes work .....

Auto headlights are just dangerous. I recommend you all avoid using them so you don't experience what I experienced.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sidelights would switch on the rear taillights though, which are probably more irritating to cars behind than your low mounted driving lights...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I tend to leave my cars on sidelights rather than 'auto', ever since my car (Soul) decided to 'flash' someone out in front of me while I was doing 60mph. ..... No, dear, the lights coming on WEREN'T an invitation to you to pull out in front of me and check my emergency brakes work .....
I tend to leave mine on normal "headlights"/"dip beam" mode all the time. DRL's annoy me in general, they should never have been mandated as seperate lights. Just force the main headlamps on 24/7. Additionally, in many new cars including the LEAF, if you leave the switch in dip beam position, they turn off with the "ignition", whereas if you use the sidelights option, they stay on and require manual switching. So dip beam effectively ends up as "auto lights" without the horrid DRL's and without the risk of switching at undesired times.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,670 Posts
I tend to leave mine on normal "headlights"/"dip beam" mode all the time. DRL's annoy me in general, they should never have been mandated as seperate lights. Just force the main headlamps on 24/7. Additionally, in many new cars including the LEAF, if you leave the switch in dip beam position, they turn off with the "ignition", whereas if you use the sidelights option, they stay on and require manual switching. So dip beam effectively ends up as "auto lights" without the horrid DRL's and without the risk of switching at undesired times.
Yes, exactly, why I found best to use side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts