Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,042 Posts
From the Volt forum it appears not, but a (tiresome) workaround was suggested

"do not plug in the cord to the wall socket and plug in the car first.... wait about 2-3mins. Then plug in the charge cord to the wall outlet...The car will not honk the horn"

Not had time to test with Ampera yet...

Paul R

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is something I would like to remove or at least have as an option. It seems ridiculous that I can drive into our flats' communal garages after midnight completely silently, only to have the car wake up the neighbours when charging starts. I don't need this audible confirmation, I can see the green light, thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have tried above method to stop beeps and it works.I dont know what will happen with delayed charging.I will have to get up one night and find out

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
proddick said:
From the Volt forum it appears not, but a (tiresome) workaround was suggested

"do not plug in the cord to the wall socket and plug in the car first.... wait about 2-3mins. Then plug in the charge cord to the wall outlet...The car will not honk the horn"
Unfortunately this is not so easy if you have a home charging pod because there is no on/off switch for my pod so whenever I plug in to the car the pod is already live. I would need to turn off my pod by flipping the RCBO, plugging in, wait the 2 mins and then turning on the pod's RCBO.

All a bit of a kerfuffle :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
As a newbie here, I guess I may be resurrecting some old posts!

My latest concern is the horn beep when charging. After studying the manual and reading this thread, I guess it can't be disabled?

I vary rarely arrive home late at night, but on the odd occasion I do I'm gonna feel a bit uncomfortable sounding my horn, even though it's only a short beep.

But what worries me more is that it's actually illegal to sound your horn unnecessarily after 11.30 when your vehicle is stationary. Hopefully none of my neighbours will complain.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
No, can't be turned off. For neighbours indoors behind double glazing its no worse than someone closing a car door.

Reactions: Ed Straker's Car

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Maybe a 'momentary press' switch that you can push while plugging in, which is wired to interrupt the horn wiring. Not a very elegant solution though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does the horn activate on delayed charging?
When on delayed charging you get two short beeps of the horn (instead of one) when you plug the car in, but not when it actually starts charging.

In practice it's not as bad as it sounds, the beeps are about as subtle as you could get with a car horn (!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK - try this. If using the car supplied charger, plug into the 13 amp socket and into the car, then wait a couple of minutes before you switch on, and no beep. It is nearly 2 years since I have tried this, but am sure this is the sequence I used.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It sounds like the Ampera/Volt beeping its horn autonomously should be subject to the same reasoning that forced Nissan to disable the warning sound on the Leaf. Has this sneaked past type approval?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
What bugs me most is that the car has a quiet pedestrian horn, yet the keys left in car beep is two FULL blast toots.. every time I go to the petrol station (relativly infrequntly) and I leave the keys, as the wife doesn't like being autolocked-in, its BEEP!!! BEEP!!! Its useful to know I've left the keys.. as pulling the key out is not part of the shutdown procedure, but this alert is ridiculous...

·
Registered
178 Posts
What bugs me most is that the car has a quiet pedestrian horn, yet the keys left in car beep is two FULL blast toots.. every time I go to the petrol station (relativly infrequntly) and I leave the keys, as the wife doesn't like being autolocked-in, its BEEP!!! BEEP!!! Its useful to know I've left the keys.. as pulling the key out is not part of the shutdown procedure, but this alert is ridiculous...
You can turn the key left in car alert off in the settings

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
Have you tried listening to the 'quiet' pedestrian alert with the windows open? I had use it last week when a guy talking on his mobile walked right out in front of me while travelling slowly in a car park, I had the front windows open and was surprised how loud it was. It might have been better if it was speed sensitive so the slower you are going the quieter it is but each successive use increases the volume slightly, then once over a certain speed it is disabled.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You can turn the key left in car alert off in the settings
Yes, but since pulling the key is not part of the sequence, It's useful to have the alert on especially if I've been to fill up and left the key somewhere other than my pocket...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have just experimented with my Polar charger, and you can definitely charge without the annoying 2 beeps. Method is the same as with the car charger. Turn mains power off. Plug cable into car. Wait a couple of minutes. Power up. Will now go into charge mode with green light on dash, but without the beeps!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts