Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife just wants to turn on air vents without turning on aircon. whenever i try, it seems aircon kicks in and range goes down. How do you just have outside air coming into car through vents.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,178 Posts
On the heating array you'll find a couple of buttons one with an arrow up and the other down. press the up arrow and eventually the air will come through the vents. The down arrow will blow at your feet. Also make sure that the vents aren't closed. The outer two have a twist knob in the middle.

Towards the top of the infotainment is a notification what comfort settings are. There's a green circle showing which way the air is being directed.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The button looking like a snowflake is for turning on/off the cooling system, but the fan speed control knob will provide adjustable air flow for either these cooling on/off modes.

Otherwise look in section 2 of the user manual.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
Even with the fans just sucking in outside air the range estimate goes down. But don't worry, your range is based on your driving. So if its just the fans turning and you've got AC turned off and the temp gauge not showing red then your range will be pleasingly higher than the range estimate. On the plus side turn the temperature up to afterburner full reheat and the range doesn't drop any more than on cool setting, but you might burn your face off.

If you leave the distribution to face level vents, turn off heating and then crack the sunroof up air is naturally drawn through the system and you get some nice circulation.

Reactions: Gerbro and Neilew

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
Even with the fans just sucking in outside air the range estimate goes down. But don't worry, your range is based on your driving. So if its just the fans turning and you've got AC turned off and the temp gauge not showing red then your range will be pleasingly higher than the range estimate. On the plus side turn the temperature up to afterburner full reheat and the range doesn't drop any more than on cool setting, but you might burn your face off.

If you leave the distribution to face level vents, turn off heating and then crack the sunroof up air is naturally drawn through the system and you get some nice circulation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As far as I can make out, as soon as you turn on any HVAC function the displayed range drops by 10%. As others have said, in the real world simply using the fan does not eat up as much energy as running the aircon or the heating.

But I haven't had the chance to assess the actual impact of the various possibilities. Perhaps one day, we Welsh will be free...

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
As far as I can make out, as soon as you turn on any HVAC function the displayed range drops by 10%. As others have said, in the real world simply using the fan does not eat up as much energy as running the aircon or the heating.

But I haven't had the chance to assess the actual impact of the various possibilities. Perhaps one day, we Welsh will be free...
I've found it chimps about 10miles of range. Not 10%. I've also found my normal mode range at lower soc is never much more than 2 or 3 miles less than eco mode too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Definitely seen more than that. Had 172 miles showing after a full charge a few days back and it dropped to 155 once we turned the fan on.

I've only just noticed this and with lockdown still in force here, I have limited chance to check but it very much looks like 10%.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Strange.
You might think that the OP (who I can see is currently looking around the forums) would have made more than one post about his "issue" and at least have acknowledged that some reponses have been made, possibly with a comment about his problem still being there, or not...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Dave,

I have only made one post. I haven't been in my car since posting to check, but thank those that have suggested solutions. I am in my new bubble with the Mother in Law and would love the chance to test out the vents.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ah thanks for explaining the situation. Apologies for being a bit cynical - every now and then people appear, post their problem and then disappear without explaining the outcome...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all, and thanks for comments. I travelled 130 miles yesterday and can confirm that my car drops 10% when I press aircon or normal outside air intake button. I lost 13 miles at beginning of journey and around 5 by the end, so it seems 10% rather than 10 miles. 10% loss seems reasonable for Aircon, but far to high for just having outside air vents open at low speed.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
It's a guessometer not a real representation of your expected range.

Running a fan on one blob with no airconditioner is probably about 100W - if you drive at 70mph the drive system is drawing about 25000W - virtually negligible.

Use the fan for cool airflow!

Full blast AC and maximum heat draw up to 4-5kW so will have a small but noticeable effect on range.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,178 Posts
I didn't realise until yesterday that if you turned on the airflow to the windscreen the AC turned on. I know other cars do this but there is usually another button/dial to direct the air to the windscreen and a button for quick demist (with AC). It's no big problem though as if you turn the AC button off the air still continues to flow towards the windscreen.

Just shows how good the weather has been for the last 3 months as I didn't know that the airflow wasn't going to the windscreen.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am in my new bubble with the Mother in Law and would love the chance to test out the vents.
Welcome @new2zs . I fear you will never get rid of her that way - can I suggest using the ejector seat after opening the panoramic sunroof?

But seriously range display is generally called the guess-o-meter or GoM because it really only gives an indication of remaining range; how you drive, the weather and hvac settings all play a part. Actual range is unlikely to be impacted too much by simply having the blower on. Heating and AC can make a more significant difference but the draw of these will reduce once the car gets to temperature.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,178 Posts
the weather
Had a perfect example how the weather effects range this morning. In the torrential rain we had to make a short journey to a local garden centre about 4 miles away. We started out with 139 on the GOM and got back with 118. It just goes to show how much drag wet roads create.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Had a perfect example how the weather effects range this morning. In the torrential rain we had to make a short journey to a local garden centre about 4 miles away. We started out with 139 on the GOM and got back with 118. It just goes to show how much drag wet roads create.
We also made a journey to a garden centre today.
The weather was absolutely shocking !.
We made the same trip about two weeks ago when the weather was fantastic.
Huge difference in the energy consumption today though.
Last trip, very little drain on the range.
Radio on and sun roof tipped open.
Today however, a very different picture.
Head lights / wipers / heater etc all in use.
Sun roof firmly closed of course !.
What a difference only a couple of weeks can make 🤦‍♂️.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts