Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought my wife and I have decided to invest in a Nissan leaf. By our calculations it should pay for itself after a few years, as well as being better for the environment. We are now setting in train the process of getting a charging point and actually buying the car. Wish us luck!

I will be asking dim questions for the next few weeks I expect.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice car! I had one on loan for 24 hours and loved it.

Have you ordered the charger upgrade for the car and the home charging point?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had a test drive overnight too, and it really made a difference to our thinking. Very practical! We are just in the process of sorting out a)buying the car b) ordering the charging point. What's the charger upgrade - to 32A do you mean?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I will be asking dim questions for the next few weeks I expect.....
Ask away. There are alot of new things to learn with EV's.

Plenty of knowledgeable people on here will answer any of your questions quickly and accurately.

Good luck! You won't regret your purchase.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What's the charger upgrade - to 32A do you mean?
Yes I think that is it. I think the brochure says you will get a Type 2 to Type 1 lead to connect to Type 2 sockets which are on many charging stations. For your home charging station you may also need to upgrade to 32A to benefit from the upgraded charger.

If you also want to charge at 10A on an ordinary 13A domestic circuits you also need the lead to connect to 3 pin sockets, which may be expensive. You would need to check that the circuit is up to the job and is not carrying other load.

May I also suggest that, as a minimum depending on your location (eg see zap map), that you contact ecotricity now for a free card to access their rapids if you are planning on charging away from home.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A quick update: we have now identified the car we want and I am picking it up next week - I thought I should at least see the thing before finalising the deal. We've gone for a 63 plate Gen 2 Acenta, with a 6.6kW OBC (Notice how the jargon is now tripping off my tongue?).

I'm in the process of sorting out having a charging point installed - any advice on that would be welcome!

·
Registered
59 Posts
32A charging point probably more future-proof than a 16A (and better for you, given that you've gone for the 6.6kW OBC).

British Gas did ours. The electrician tried his best to say the job wasn't possible. The subcontractor he worked for was paying a flat fee to him so he tried to cherry-pick only the easy ones. I'm not sure what made him change his tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts