Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been popping up to Ashridge estate to see the lovely Bluebells in our Leaf 24kw 2015 model these past few weeks and 4 times I've forgotten (belligerently decided not to) to charge the car before leaving.
It's 10.9 miles from my door to Dockey wood and the lowest range (last time) I had before leaving my house was 27 miles range.
The temperature had been 6-8 degree's most mornings and the roads (at 4am) were clear.
On the journey there is a rather large persistent hill climb for about 2 miles which does knock off the range somewhat, I get about 14-16 miles range indicating when I get there and pretty much freewheel back and drive at the registered speed limits on route.
Each return journey I get within 5 miles from home the range normally indicating 10 miles range left with lots of warnings on the dashboard.
Three times I've done this I've been on my own with my dog in the early morning.
The last time I did it I went with my wife, daughter and dog, I only had 10 miles of range indicating left when I got there, it had just been raining and it was 5pm so busy traffic too.
Thankfully the extra traffic meant slower driving on the way back and as usual with 5 miles to go left on our journey with the battery guessometer telling me there was 7 miles range left it disappeared and we got the flashing lines, thankfully we got back no problem.
When does this turtle mode actually kick in as I've never been able to invoke it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
My experience (2014 24kWh) is turtle kicks in at 5 gids, but I've also seen it quoted at 4 and I think Ed mentioned a higher figure on his more depleted battery (7?). For reference, LBW is widely quoted as 49 gids and VLBW as 25gids. the % battery display goes about 17/18 gids. A new Gen2 24kWh battery is usually quoted as 284 gids. It's all a bit imprecise at the bottom end though because it's probably weakest cell voltage based, not synthetic capacity.
How far you get in turtle depends mainly on terrain. Uphill and you might struggle to make 100m...

·
Super Moderator
7,267 Posts
Yes I have had tortoise mode start at 9 GIDs, but it is commonly reported as happening at 5 GIDs. It's triggered by lowest cell voltage as well as capacity remaining, so with a badly balanced or degraded pack can arrive slightly unexpectedly.

LBW means 4kwh remaining
VLBW means 2kwh remaining
Tortoise means 0.3kwh remaining.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,626 Posts
P
Yes I have had tortoise mode start at 9 GIDs, but it is commonly reported as happening at 5 GIDs. It's triggered by lowest cell voltage as well as capacity remaining, so with a badly balanced or degraded pack can arrive slightly unexpectedly.

LBW means 4kwh remaining
VLBW means 2kwh remaining
Tortoise means 0.3kwh remaining.
Presumably that's on a 24kWh?

I have had my 30kWh down to 2% remaining (had to be measured by the DBT charger) before and haven't hit turtle/tortiose/power restricted mode yet. Having done two tests of how far I can push the battery, I'm not planning on doing any more in the near future!

In my experience (again only with the 30kWh), LBW (lose the GOM) is at ~7-8% remaining on the dash, with VLBW (lose the battery meter) at ~4-5%.

·
Registered
541 Posts
In my experience (again only with the 30kWh), LBW (lose the GOM) is at ~7-8% remaining on the dash, with VLBW (lose the battery meter) at ~4-5%.
Just some minor corrections, but the GOM disappears (becomes ---) at VLBW, which is around 7-8% in my 30kWh car.

LBW is around 15% in my 30kWh car and is a little higher in a 24kWh LEAF. It's at LBW when the GOM begins flashing, but you still have an estimate.

You're right that the battery meter becomes '---' around 4-5%, but that is a little while after the VLBW occurs.

·
Super Moderator
7,267 Posts
Don't forget the dash is showing you usable percentage, not actual SOC.

Not sure what the rapid charger reads, it has never seemed to correlate to anything in particular for me.

For a 30kwh car you get about 355GIDs, so 5 GIDs is 1.4% of usable.

Wish I could upgrade to a 30kwh, these days I only get 230 GIDs from a full charge, so it would be more than 50% greater energy, plus the gen2 car is a little more efficient, plus it has the more efficient heater. My winter range would probably go up from 45 miles to about 80.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for that. I have just downloaded leaf spy today and await the OBD2 Wifi controller so will take a look my stats once it arrives.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,626 Posts
Just some minor corrections, but the GOM disappears (becomes ---) at VLBW, which is around 7-8% in my 30kWh car.

LBW is around 15% in my 30kWh car and is a little higher in a 24kWh LEAF. It's at LBW when the GOM begins flashing, but you still have an estimate.

You're right that the battery meter becomes '---' around 4-5%, but that is a little while after the VLBW occurs.
Ah, pardon me! My memory is obviously failing me, but that does sound about right. I had forgotten about the flashin GOM stage :(

Don't forget the dash is showing you usable percentage, not actual SOC.

Not sure what the rapid charger reads, it has never seemed to correlate to anything in particular for me.

For a 30kwh car you get about 355GIDs, so 5 GIDs is 1.4% of usable.

Wish I could upgrade to a 30kwh, these days I only get 230 GIDs from a full charge, so it would be more than 50% greater energy, plus the gen2 car is a little more efficient, plus it has the more efficient heater. My winter range would probably go up from 45 miles to about 80.
The dash percentage is what most people are going to work from though - so should probably be referenced somewhere for those who don't assume that everything is taken by a 3rd party application.

The rapid chargers on my car have only ever been a maximum of 1% out so I assume they are reading from the available capacity and are just rounding differently to the car.

Yeah you would benefit greatly in range from a Mk1 to a 30kWh - in moderaly cold and wet weather I can get 100-120 miles. Haven't yet had any freezing weather to try it in!

·
Registered
955 Posts
this thread got me to run the range down today, haven't got anyway to measure anything,but for me 15% gom starts flashing, 10% battery earning low, 6% range meter stops working on the map, 5% %disappears.

surprised car still easily pulls, thought power would be restricted once you get to 5%, last 2 miles is steep hill on motorway, quick burst to 80 to pass a lorry still ok! I was confident i would get back, although would of been stuck if junction was closed and be very angry better half who was already annoyed for not driving slow to preserve range

·
Registered
955 Posts
Did you notice the battery temperature when you did this? You'll not do it again if you did.
5 bars, was raining yesterday, I've only ever seen it get to 7 bars once after a rapid charger on one of the hottest days we've had this year

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been in tortoise mode twice and drove around 2.5 miles safely in both cases, one time up a steep hill as well.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I am told the power blob circles start going from double to single as the maximum power gets limited. Never seen that happen (and have never had the tortoise appear) even though I have several times driven beyond the ---%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts