Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed TV interference when the Ampera is switched on / running ? My parents notice their TV glitching on both sound and picture when I arrive. Bit random, wondered if anyone else has experienced this ?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Never experienced it myself. Might be worth checking the aerial cable for any joins/plugs etc that may be coming apart at the shielding and allowing it to pick up the interference.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,679 Posts
Has anyone noticed TV interference when the Ampera is switched on / running ? My parents notice their TV glitching on both sound and picture when I arrive. Bit random, wondered if anyone else has experienced this ?
EV Motors do sometimes give off a considerable amount of interference so things that aren't very well shielded will pick it up a fair distance away. I know my old Renault Zoe R240 was the very worst at this. Whether driving or charging it would kill certain radio frequencies especially on AM, as well as kill my doorbell and wireless security system at home. See my post from last year:

Just to update that as I realised I never did bother posting back - It was only my car and the other Zoe had minimal effect aside from jamming a few AM radio signals. I never found the cause of the problem and replaced the car shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Not noticed anything. Are they are in a fringe area? The signal may be weak, follow @h8ten 's advice and check the antenna cable and just where the aerial is pointing.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
I would wager coincidence, first, before doubting the car.

The beam pattern of a typical TV antenna means they will be more likely looking at an emissions field far beyond the house if your car is at ground level. (There may be side lobes to the antenna, but the odds are stacked against Ampera as the likely source.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, interesting, I reckon that a borderline signal or aerial issue might be the problem, I’ve noticed it on very rare occasions when I was watching tv there.... the car does certainly push the signal over the edge though ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They’re watching through Sky, not sure if that makes any difference

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
They’re watching through Sky, not sure if that makes any difference
It should be immune from radiated emissions, then, whether satellite or cable.

Sounds like something wrong with the setup to make it that sensitive.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Satellite? If its old check the LNB - I've had one where the cap perished in the sun. It kept working but became very sensitive to weather. eventually it filled with water and packed in :(

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I didn't get any hassle when I visited Jodrell Bank a couple of years ago! There were dire warnings at the entrance about turning off any electrical devices, mobile phones, you name it! I wondered about apologising in advance at the pay-desk for screwing up their latest sky-scan, but chickened out!

Reactions: h8ten
1 - 11 of 11 Posts