Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that are on Twitter you might want to monitor the tag #ukcharge

This has been set up to allow everyone to tweet the serviceability or otherwise of charging stations. So we can at least get to hear about charging station failures as they are discovered and also to make public any delays in repairs from the operators.

Similarly, if you use a charging station then please tweet to this tag where, when, how (13A, Type2 cable etc) and whether your charge was successful.

This is a great example of how the EV community is helping each other in these early days. It is keeping the operators honest and at the same time helping to keep EV drivers appraised of charging station status.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I would like to second pauls post, please join us in tweeting when you use a charging post, it wil help the community to know the state of the charging network before setting off on a journey and potentially getting stranded

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just to let you know I tried 3 ecotricity charging points on Sunday.Reading underneath wind turbine, membury westbound, membury eastbound and all were unserviceable or partially u/s.I contacted Ecotricity this morning and they were aware of the problems and are replaceing the posts with new GE units to be completed before xmas.And yes it will mean a new rifid card which will be mailed soon

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this mean that they will be replacing ALL of the Ecotricity charging stations?

I know they are installing some DC charging stations at some places. I suspected that they were not repairing the existing unservicable stations as they knew they would be replacing them soon. Looks like I might have been right but I think they should be making more of an effort to keep ALL of they stations working. I have come to distruct the Ecotricity stations to such an extent that I can't now plan on using them. If that is the case then they might as well not be there.

I have had an electric car now for 18 months and in that time I was hoping that the charging station operators would come to realise that their stations MUST be kept servicable if they are to be of any use at all. They still don't realise that. Not only that but they are still all PR when it comes to installing new stations. Where are these new DC stations from Ecotricity? Where are the other 14 stations they said they would install by the start of 2012 (still nothing added this year!). Where are the Engenie stations they said would be up and running by the end of 2012? Where are all the new POLAR stations that POLAR said would be up and running by the end of last year and now say by the end of this year?

The reality for us Ampera owners is that we don't need public charging but for 100% EV owners such as with the Nissan Leaf, Fluence, Zoe, BMW i3 etc, we need public charging to make trips beyond single charge range and unless the charge station operators get their act together PDQ and actually do what they say they will do I cannot see EVs growing in popularity much... this of course is the main benefit of the Ampera. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with you Paul, but the reasons they gave me were, The units they have now are of German manufacture and the company wouldnt come over to fix them hence they are all to be changed.I have seen one of the new dc chargers and very smart too but just asking to be vandalised.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had problems with the ecotricity charging point at M1 Newport Pagnell, southbound. I found it of service 3 out of 3 times since May. As already mentioned, they have told be they are updating all UK charging points. I can confirm the the unit at M40 Oxford Services has been updated and also a new DC charger installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts