Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I've had a Renault Twizy for 2 months now, it's a 2012 model.

Lately (in the last few days), it sporadically showed a charge % while driving, instead of the speed.
Today, I drove it for 10 minutes, parked in 10 minutes, and when I tried to turn in on again, it refused.

It beeped as usual, but no green "GO" light.
The battery symbol containing an exclamation mark turned on.
And the left battery charge stack blinked.

After multiples attempts at removing fuses, removing the key, turning it on, turning it off.. It managed to turn on and I could drive it home.

At home I checked the lead acid battery tension. It was 12.93V. Not great, but not abnormal.
I tried plugin in a lab PSU (@13.6V) instead of the lead acid battery, but the errors stayed. And the twizy refuses to move again.
Also, the battery charge stack now blinks without the key plugged in ! (So I removed the 12V battery to make it stop, and to replace it).

Any ideas ?

Thanks to anyone who would chip in with experience or advice.

First picture is the display while driving.

Second picture is the display, parked, and refusing to move.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, according to the Twizy manual ...
Electrotechnical system warning light
If it lights up while driving, this means there is an electrotechnical fault in the “58 volt” electrical circuit. Please see an authorised dealer as soon as possible.
Good luck.
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Going to the garage would be the easiest way (5km away) but the less instructive way of fixing this issue.

I am more interested in being able to troubleshoot, identify the cause, order any replacement part if necessary and/or change/repair them.

Taking the vehicle to the garage is the last resort.

Someone elsewhere provided the following input
I would guess you have a problem with your charger or battery. When the car will not start then you can check your engine controller. It has a green diode which will flash if it has an error message in it. Unscrew the bottom plate that is under the engine / gearbox and you will be able to see the controller. diode light meanings: constant light everything is ok the flashes light then there is a wrong message (count the number of flashes) No light means your battery has not started up and you have an error on the battery or your charger. The charger is an important chip on a Twizy and if it has a fault then the battery will not be activated and you will not be able to drive your Twizy
I have received a new lead-acid battery and am going to look into that suggestion.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As expected, changing the auxiliary battery didn't do jack.
After a few attempts, the car started last Saturday, so I dropped it at the nearest Renault garage.

I'll keep you posted as to the causes of the issue, as soon as Renault establishes a diagnostics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi again,

After nearly a month of waiting, Renault as established the following diagnostic : failure of the charge module.
Since this is an extremely common issue, and the vehicle only having about 20 000 km (12 000 miles), I will attempt a warranty claim.

For anyone's information, the provided estimate is 1500€ VAT included (typical for this kind of repair).
Also, the charge module is said to cost about 550 € VAT excluded from the official dealers.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
Let us know if you get anywhere with a warranty claim.

£550 isn’t too bad if you can swap it out yourself.

One day there will be a man with a soldering iron who can fix these charging modules. They are very expensive on the Zoe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi, late update on this (covid and what not).

I've paid for the replacement (full price - 1600€ tax inc. Renault is not willing to take responsability).
So I took the malfunctioning charger home yesterday, along with the repaired car.

Upon opening, turns out it was pretty much flooded and many components corroded with time (seems easily repairable, but an obvious hidden defect).
Video of the opening of the charger here
and pictures attached.

If other encounter the same issue, pressure Renault into taking responsibility. Probably have an expert assess the vehicle at it and provide an opposable report.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts