Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just made a forum account after lurking forever.
I'm occasionally in this 'range anxiety' zone at a clients where I'm not completely sure I'll make it home, battery wise.

It's usually alright if I pace myself and drive very eco friendly - but really, doing the speed limit in the Twizy is certainly a lot more fun.

I found this pack online and was wondering if these specs are usable as a way to charge the Twizy while parked away from a socket. Incoming amp might be too low, but I'm not sure if this means a slower charge, or no charge?
I'd post the link, but am blocked from doing so as a new account. It's the "portable solar generator mains 230v / 1000W / 1500Wh from Mobisun international.

More techy eyes appreciated!

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
Well, it’s 1.5 kWh rated capacity - real available capacity is going to be a lot less.

How many extra miles are you expecting to get?

Have you thought about swapping the Twizy for a second hand Zoe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10~20 would be plenty, honestly.

No real interest in the Zoe, really - but I do have a Zero on the way which will likely start filling the same niche the Twizy does now. Still, Twizy generally gets me where I need to be, and lets me park in crowded areas. Suits me fine. A small range boost would make it perfect.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
Official consumption is 63 Wh/km.

So if they extender worked, it could probably give you another 15 km of range. Maybe more.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Of course it may not even work with the car charger, which may require an Earth to be detected.
If you use one of these you can select parameters, including whether earth check is required:

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
If you use one of these you can select parameters, including whether earth check is required:

The Twizy is a Mode 1 type charger, hence won’t work with an EVSE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies so far!

Is there a way to find out if it would work beforehand, beyond spending €1,700+ on it and then trying to return it if it turns out not to work for my intended purpose?

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far!

Is there a way to find out if it would work beforehand, beyond spending €1,700+ on it and then trying to return it if it turns out not to work for my intended purpose?
Maybe ask their support channel? Although I suspect they wouldn’t know.

Is it really not possible to find a socket and carry an extension lead? Even if this thing worked it would only charge at 1 kW max.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts