Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting ready to buy and have our first residential Level 2 charger in our home and are new to EV ownership so please excuse our EV naivety.
Within the next 18-24 months we will get a second EV. Is it advisable to have a second home charger when owning two (or more) EVs?
We have kids who will be of driving age in the next handful of years... so we may get a thrid one at that point.

For now we need to install one residential Level 2 charger, in doing so we will have an electrician come out to wire it back to the home electrical panel. Is it cost effective to save the electrician's trips out to run the wires, upgrade the panel, and do installs all at once? I figure this will save not only time and money but things will be adequately upgraded from the start.

Where is the optimal placement for a charger when not all the vehicles fit within the garage? Do you simply get an extra long cord?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
American query. In the UK most folk charge outside on the driveway. Probably need some input from your utility as to what loads can be supported.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You also need to consider whether you want to have 3 phase charging - some cars (Audi E-Tron, Hyundai, Renault Zoe to name a few) can and my understanding is that 3 phase is more available at home in the USA than the UK.
Charge points can generally be installed externally so that may be an answer for your additional car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have 2 EVs and charge one on cheap elec overnight on the driveway via 7KW PodPoint device and the other in the garage via a normal (3-pin in the UK) standard wall socket. As this is 240V in the UK it works Ok for my 30-mile round trip for work. The school run EV 7-seater (Nissan ENV) can also charge on our solar panels daytime, which actually works better via the standard elec socket as the panels can't produce 3.7KWh (the max for the vehicle on-board charger).
When needed we fast charge on the driveway of an evening, then swap before bedtime for the cheaper overnight energy.

So it is do-able for us, but needs a little juggling.

·
Registered
648 Posts
We now own 3 EV’s; started with a Golf GTE (PHEV) nearly five years ago, fed through a attached garage mounted 7kw charger alongside solar PV.
The central position allows both cars inside the garage, or the one outside to charge easily.
Given the battery capacities of the 3 cars are small, medium, and large (22, 40, and 75Kw); all require different frequency of charging.
We are about to have our Zappi2 charger fitted in the next two weeks; it was ordered in July before our Model 3 was, but the order required amended twice which caused additional delays; but then the agreed price increased so needed to change installer as well.
Unless you are covering large milages daily, you'll find a singular charge point more than ample in 90% of cases.
We did originally setout to have an additional one fitted to our current; but after several discussions with installers (DNO approval required), the extra cost of fitting charger no:2 which also was going to be limited to only 16amps due to the original one being 32amps, didn't seem worth the extra expense.
Because we are at home during the day, many of the cheaper Time of Use electric tariffs, don't work out cheaper for us, as we don't have a need to charge daily, which provides more flexibility.
If you need to charge through the night, you'll need to see what works best for you.
One charger will most likely be more than ample though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
American query. In the UK most folk charge outside on the driveway.
Speak for yourself ! My charge point has always been in my garage but it's near front and if necessary cable would feed another EV parked just outside door.

Unless both cars need a lot of charge every day, I would have thought one charge point would have been sufficient for two EVs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts