Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems a deal has been struck with Hyatt hotels as both Birmingham and London Hyatt hotels opened superchargers today.

1 became 3 becomes lots ..... Hopefully

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Well, that's every UK Hyatt done...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It's valet charging in the London Hyatt as well - rock up, hand them the keys, go shopping in Oxford Street for an hour or so, come back to a fully charged car all warmed up and ready... all for free! As long as you are ok with valet parking, what's not to like?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's valet charging in the London Hyatt as well - rock up, hand them the keys, go shopping in Oxford Street for an hour or so, come back to a fully charged car all warmed up and ready... all for free! As long as you are ok with valet parking, what's not to like?
yep that would be nice, hopefully more sites will have that facility :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Tesla are doing a great job in showing that EVs are for anyone, and not just a rich boy's plaything... not!
If we can't have prestige EVs among the mix then the market will never evolve.

You could also argue the Twizzy is far more an expensive play thing than the large and practical Model S.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
You don't have to be staying at the Hyatt to use the supercharger...
True, but one of the biggest image problems I find with EVs is people telling me that they are just for rich people. Putting your chargers at city-centre high-end hotels (and having valet charging FFS!) does not help. Last week I spent a miserable couple of hours traipsing into, then out of the centre of Birmingham and I would rather be dragged on a rope behind an ICE than have to take my EV there to charge each time!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tesla are doing a great job in showing that EVs are for anyone, and not just a rich boy's plaything... not!
Why do you think that because they put the chargers a nice hotel rather than a days inn ?

I don't consider myself rich or my car a plaything.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True, but one of the biggest image problems I find with EVs is people telling me that they are just for rich people. Putting your chargers at city-centre high-end hotels (and having valet charging FFS!) does not help. Last week I spent a miserable couple of hours traipsing into, then out of the centre of Birmingham and I would rather be dragged on a rope behind an ICE than have to take my EV there to charge each time!
These are the first few of many, there will be many that are not city center based.

WRT the valet parking, its an option that is being offered, the same as the valet airport transfer from west drayton, its a way to differentiate but neither is compulsory to use.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
These are the first few of many, there will be many that are not city center based.

WRT the valet parking, its an option that is being offered, the same as the valet airport transfer from west drayton, its a way to differentiate but neither is compulsory to use.
My point is that these chargers give an unhelpful image. It's like giving a gift to everyone in the UK - if the first ones you hand out are to the Queen and handful of Tory MPs; the fact that everyone will get theirs' over the next few weeks does not undo the damage that the initial image makes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not sure about this. We were originally promised coverage of the south of England by September, along the M4/M5/M42. It's already mid-August and we have a handful of city centre locations, with no word on the motorway locations.

I think city charging is great to have, and makes it possible to own an EV without having off-street parking, but right in centre of the city is the last place I want to charge, and doesn't really serve the long distance traveller very well (Do I want to fight my way into Birmingham and out again on a trip from, say, Somerset to Cheshire? Not really).

I suspect that the spat with Ecotricity has quite a bit to do with this, but the lack of communication coupled with an unexplained change of tack on Tesla's part, is quite disappointing.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My point is that these chargers give an unhelpful image. It's like giving a gift to everyone in the UK - if the first ones you hand out are to the Queen and handful of Tory MPs; the fact that everyone will get theirs' over the next few weeks does not undo the damage that the initial image makes.
I think thats an unfair analogy, Telsa owners have already paid for their use of superchargers, its not a gift, and Tesla seek out sites that serve their market demographics , so the locations are likely to be those that their owners and potential owners are likely to want to frequent.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure about this. We were originally promised coverage of the south of England by September, along the M4/M5/M42. It's already mid-August and we have a handful of city centre locations, with no word on the motorway locations.
We still have 6 weeks until end of september so its possible it will happen, but I agree the legal fight may be taking longer to resolve than they planned. However just because thats taking longer does not mean the city center role out should slow down.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I think thats an unfair analogy, Telsa owners have already paid for their use of superchargers, its not a gift, and Tesla seek out sites that serve their market demographics , so the locations are likely to be those that their owners and potential owners are likely to want to frequent.
The analogy was supposed to only show the image issue - I don't believe the Superchargers are a gift (except at the moment to people like Clarkson who is probably wetting himself with all the jokes he can make about this).

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I think city charging is great to have, and makes it possible to own an EV without having off-street parking, but right in centre of the city is the last place I want to charge, and doesn't really serve the long distance traveller very well (Do I want to fight my way into Birmingham and out again on a trip from, say, Somerset to Cheshire? Not really).

I suspect that the spat with Ecotricity has quite a bit to do with this, but the lack of communication coupled with an unexplained change of tack on Tesla's part, is quite disappointing.
What I can't quite understand is why do we see lots of lovely photos of full-on Supercharger "stations" popping up over the US, China and Europe but in the UK it doesn't seem to be happening either now or in the immediate future (co-occupying sites at motorways isn't the same thing).

For example, Europe's 50th Supercharger station opened in France yesterday. This is how I thought they were supposed to be?!

700828.jpg

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The analogy was supposed to only show the image issue - I don't believe the Superchargers are a gift (except at the moment to people like Clarkson who is probably wetting himself with all the jokes he can make about this).
So the alternative is to not install them because they are worried about how Clarkson would take it

Every supercharger deployed will take load off the ecotricity network so we don't get the "hogging" everyone is predicting, that sounds like something everyone will benefit from.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I can't quite understand is why do we see lots of lovely photos of full-on Supercharger "stations" popping up over the US, China and Europe but in the UK it doesn't seem to be happening either now or in the immediate future (co-occupying sites at motorways isn't the same thing).

For example, Europe's 50th Supercharger station opened in France yesterday. This is how I thought they were supposed to be?!

View attachment 1610
The larger ones will come but again lets get a little perspective, the car has only been on the road for 10 weeks, Europe has had a big headstart.

The two bay superchargers seem to be the standard for city locations (something that they never considered before coming to the UK) once the ecotricity spat is resolved I am sure we will see larger installations

1 - 20 of 80 Posts