Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This picture show two pivot points in the Volt's (and Ampera's?) rear view mirror.

This picture shows how having the mirror too high would cut off your visibility.

This pictures show how low you can pivot the mirror for max visibility in rear window and hatch window.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
This looks very interesting. I have found vis to be rather limited out the back. I put it down to the highly raked rear window. I wonder if I can get a better view by adjusting this second pivot... if it exists on the UK Ampera?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yes it does exist and it does make a difference. When pushed all the way to the top (how mine came from dealer) the roof console obscures rear view dropping the mirror down helps a lot.

P.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting, the mirror in the picture looks like an auto dim, I only have the manual anti dazzle in my Electron, what do others have?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
taylorgx said:
Interesting, the mirror in the picture looks like an auto dim, I only have the manual anti dazzle in my Electron, what do others have?
I have a manual too but I did adjust it again using the second pivot and it has helped visibility a lot for me... thanks :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
They were supposed to be, but the spec was changed at the last minute.
This is the same as with the Automatic Wipers (Stated in the Ampera Highlights Brochure sent to ePioneers on 10th Jan) ... I'm not overly happy about this...

P.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MY12 Ampera has a Manual Adjusting Rear-view Mirror.
You'll notice that the windscreen has the sensor unit, this blocks effective use of the Electrochromatic Mirror as it has a thick body, hence the manual version which is a thinner unit.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
SP_66 said:
MY12 Ampera has a Manual Adjusting Rear-view Mirror.
You'll notice that the windscreen has the sensor unit, this blocks effective use of the Electrochromatic Mirror as it has a thick body, hence the manual version which is a thinner unit.
That would be the same sensor unit that is in the pics above with the auto mirror?
Once adjusted to a lower position for seeing out of the rear window, that clashing problem kind of goes away.
As an aside what is in the sensor unit? Because it's not for auto wipers, my car doesn't have those...(even though they were on the brochure spec)

It sounds a bit crazy to say it doesn't have x because the sensor for y (which is not installed) stops it.

P.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Doesn't the USA Volt have an auto mirror? Is the Volt different in the winscreen arrangement making it possible on the Volt but not on the Ampera?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
So maybe on the LHD Auto-mirror the rear sensor is Biased to the left? on the RHD ampera you might need a RHD version, with Right Bias on the rear sensor.

If someone were to make a RHD version by mirror imaging the unit, the sensor would move from the LH side to the RH side and would then clash with the windscreen sensor unit, which remains on the RH Side of the screen.. that would be too daft to have happened though, wouldn't it?

P.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SP_66 said:
The sensors enclosed in the unit are for the climate control / humidity control for the car.
In the At least in the USA Volt is the receiver for the FOB (RKE Remote Key) buttons is there too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts