Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may just be timing but my ioniq 28kw had a service Friday, it had update on maps and I assume software. I currently charge on a schedule but sat night it didn't charge ( but charged fine on manual) and Sunday night it charged but didn't precondition. Both times my charing point seemed to have tripped.
The second issue is on the DAB radio it just changes station on its own. Display will stay as one I was listening to but sub menu will be the new station.
Anyone else had either of these issues?
Charger is a rolec charger

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
160 Posts
My Ioniq went back 2 years ago, but my Rolec is still going after 6 years (just about), and it can trip because of the dodgy RCBO fitted to early units. 16A through a 32A Rolec never seemed to be a problem, but when you try to pull close to 32A, the RCBO can throw a fit, and always starts to cook itself.
Is it possible that pre-update your Ioniq was limited to 16A charging (this can be set from the menus), and now it has defaulted back to 32A?

Unlikely, but worth mentioning, because a 'trippy' Rolec must be very common if the RCBO is an older type.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Ioniq went back 2 years ago, but my Rolec is still going after 6 years (just about), and it can trip because of the dodgy RCBO fitted to early units. 16A through a 32A Rolec never seemed to be a problem, but when you try to pull close to 32A, the RCBO can throw a fit, and always starts to cook itself.
Is it possible that pre-update your Ioniq was limited to 16A charging (this can be set from the menus), and now it has defaulted back to 32A?

Unlikely, but worth mentioning, because a 'trippy' Rolec must be very common if the RCBO is an older type.
Is that the section under "charging current' if I lower it will that mean the times I need to use a rapid charger I will need to change it again?

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
160 Posts
Yes, IIRC the 'charging current', and no it won't affect rapid charging.

The charging current that you set in the car only applies to the onboard AC charger.
Rapid chargers use DC current and completely bypass the onboard charger.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you have either of these in your Rolec, I suggest you swap it out.

and here's what I replaced my ACEQ0180 with:

Qns for the sparkies:
1) Is there any functional difference between the 2 RCBOs that Rolec have used here? One's a B40, the other a C40... 2) and if there is a difference, why?
3) Would the Garo above be a suitable replacement for the ACEQ0185 C40 shown?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have either of these in your Rolec, I suggest you swap it out.
View attachment 143637

and here's what I replaced my ACEQ0180 with:
View attachment 143638

Qns for the sparkies:
1) Is there any functional difference between the 2 RCBOs that Rolec have used here? One's a B40, the other a C40... 2) and if there is a difference, why?
3) Would the Garo above be a suitable replacement for the ACEQ0185 C40 shown?
I have the one on the left. Looking at last night it part charged then tripped out. I will call hyundai today and I might replace that part as well to be safe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but I've seen videos where similar burn patterns to the breaker on the left were traced to an insecure/insufficiently tightened down cable. I'm not sure I'd be blaming that breaker without further investigation and knowing how tightly that black cable was secured.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
... I'm not sure I'd be blaming that breaker without further investigation and knowing how tightly that black cable was secured.
Fair point!
There have been many, many cases of the blue-text Rolec RCBO failing, and it is always that top-left terminal. Under-tightening has been totally discounted as the problem. So when I swapped mine out, I stripped it right down & took a series of very closeup pics. Basic problem is the only thing holding the critical terminal post in place is the outer plastic case, no metal whatsoever, so with time & heat, that starts to fold out, as it has the spring-loaded pressure pushing hard against it. Details here: Rolec Charger - Dangerous???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts