Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please knowlegdably clarify:

1) regulations permitting, later this year I want to take the car over to Eire, ROI and I'm wondering if, preparatory, the •satnav device• will need an engineer to reprogram it or will the thing a u t o m a t i c a l l y work over there (ie without anyone having to 'doctor' it as it were) in Southern Ireland, given that that country is in the EU?

Which scenario is the case?

[Being an octogenarian technophobe the scenario is beyond my capability to comprehend, unaided.]

2) on the car's door the •tyre pressures• are stated as 38 psi front/33 rear; however, Kwikfit are adamant that the figure should be 33 all round... I'm immensely conflicted between these two professional pieces of information. I'm SO konfused I'm spelling the operative word with a 'k!'

Because of lockdown I can't put either of these questions to my local dealer so in the interim I'm hoping this forum will be able to provide authentic answers.

Over to you.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
1) Normally the satnavs are loaded with UK and ROI, but check with your dealer who can advise (or on the invoice)

Failing that just use Google Maps on your phone hooked up to CarPlay. You’ll need a cable.

2) I would ignore Kwik Fit and go with the numbers on the door. Renault didn’t put them there by accident.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Stick with the Renault recommended pressures.
As for the sat nav Im pretty sure that Ithe map is Ireland and UK, why don't you enter an address in Cork or Dublin and see if the sat nav calculates the route.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,682 Posts
I'm immensely conflicted between these two professional pieces of information. I'm SO konfused I'm spelling the operative word with a 'k!'
I Think the bigger issue is that you have just called Kwik Fit professional. I have a good number of horror stories at this point to suggest that they probably aren't.
All I can think is that maybe they just searched for a Zoe and got the old model? I Seem to remember the original model recommended the same pressures all round. For you though, always stick to what the label on the car itself says. The people that made the car probably know better than a garage that works on all different brands and get you back out the door as quickly as possible.

My Iconic definitely has the mapping data for all of the UK and Ireland. But as has been suggested above it may be worth trying to set a route and see if it can navigate you there or not to confirm that this is the case on your specific car too. If yours doesn't, and you have a smartphone you can always connect your phone and use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto to get your phone's mapping and navigation on the car's screen that way.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My Iconic definitely has the mapping data for all of the UK and Ireland. But as has been suggested above it may be worth trying to set a route and see if it can navigate you there or not to confirm that this is the case on your specific car too. If yours doesn't, and you have a smartphone you can always connect your phone and use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto to get your phone's mapping and navigation on the car's screen that way.
There are also updates available for the maps, and you can toggle the ones you want on or off. Details are here: ZE50 map updates

As a self-confessed technophobe @Saucebox might need to get somebody to help with that, but I'd suggest it's a good idea to update the maps at some point before leaving. Not essential though, as they shouldn't be too wrong at this stage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts