Kia Soul EV 2020
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can you please check what your Kia comes with:

Mine comes with 2 of these...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure which our Niro has, or if it has both, as the missus has the car at her work at the moment. But when we saw it at the dealership, and it had just been delivered, it had two - they were both still attached, front and back of the car. I guess they use them to help secure the cars during shipping/transportation.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure which our Niro has, or if it has both, as the missus has the car at her work at the moment. But when we saw it at the dealership, and it had just been delivered, it had two - they were both still attached, front and back of the car. I guess they use them to help secure the cars during shipping/transportation.
That is a possibility. But do I really need them both in the car now?

When I found them, I removed one from the car...

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
You use one to tighten the other on really good.

(Personally I’d go with the one without the weld that looks like it was forged).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(Personally I’d go with the one without the weld that looks like it was forged).
I went with the other one - lighter.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Good choice, it's unlikely to break until you need to use it and the weight saving must make all the difference given the weight of the car.

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
Good choice, it's unlikely to break until you need to use it and the weight saving must make all the difference given the weight of the car.
He put the spare one in the boot, to even out the weight distribution.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do know that your EV can't be towed right? So even keeping one is an overkill.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
You do know that your EV can't be towed right? So even keeping one is an overkill.
That's a simplification of the truth. EVs can be towed short distances such as from the middle of the motorway to the hard shoulder without damage.
However, I appreciate your point. If you have no intention of using it under any circumstances why carry it? Perhaps like spare wheels other tools in cars are pointless for a significant number of owners who either cannot or would not use them even in the rare event of needing to?

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
That's a simplification of the truth. EVs can be towed short distances such as from the middle of the motorway to the hard shoulder without damage.
However, I appreciate your point. If you have no intention of using it under any circumstances why carry it? Perhaps like spare wheels other tools in cars are pointless for a significant number of owners who either cannot or would not use them even in the rare event of needing to?
You’ll need it if you need to get your car winched onto a flatbed.

(Don’t ask me how I know).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Actually, most EVs can be towed sometimes, but it depends on the nature of the failure.
If the 12V battery is good, and the traction battery is good enough to be turned on and put into drive, and you can get the parking brake off, even though it's in some limp-home mode due to low charge, then towing can actually regenerate into the traction battery, and the DC/DC converter will keep the 12V battery topped up, which means that you will still keep power steering and servo-assisted brakes etc.
If you can't get the parking brake off, towing will cause damage.
If you can't get it into drive or neutral, towing will cause damage.
If the failure is because of a crash, and the wheels, suspension or steering linkages are damaged, then attempting to tow it could cause further damage.
If the car won't switch on at all, then any recovery driver would have to use things like wheel skates or crane to move the car onto their truck.
Simple answer: The recovery driver should know what's possible, but don't throw away towing eyes because different cars have different threads and the recovery driver might not have one that fits your car. There's a possibility that Kia might have done something silly and had different threads for the front and rear towing points. Might be worth checking that carefully before discarding one.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Simon..Hewison thanks I understand most of this.

But, apart from shananigans and trolls, and some helpful input, I still haven't received an answer to my original question: can you please check what your Kia comes with?

It is as simple as that... I did not ask for the trolls piling on...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Things are getting really suspicious:

Can anyone with a Kia, please check!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts