Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of cables from EV Cables (via Amazon fulfilment). Over the course of a few weeks it has become much harder to plug in and remove; to the point I have now stopped using it in case the force required breaks something.

I have sent the seller a request to repair or replace and am still awaiting a reply (via Amazon, to protect my consumer rights etc.).

While I wait any suggestions as to what to check? I have done what I consider a thorough visual inspection and see nothing untoward. All the plastic is clear and undamaged and not noticeably deformed. The metal contacts all appear clean and uncorroded. I gave it all a clean with clean tissue and cotton bus to reach the inner plastic. Slight amount of lubricant just in case. No change.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just a thought - you've not turned on the lock inside the car without realising, have you.....

(Depending what car you've got)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there is no lock. As I said, the other cables I have (but not for this purpose) are all fine but I cannot see any differences.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't actually say whether you had any other cables - just that you'd stopped using these cables from this supplier. :)
My bad. Stupid browser crapped out the first draft and I had to type the post again. Missed the bit where the other cable and the portable EVSE both work fine.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I wonder if a suitable silicone or teflon spray would help. Has there been an ingress of dirt into the socket that needs wiping out?

Have you got a screw loose? In the plug of course.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
@Peter Galbavy - nope, nothing you are doing, they are out of sepc J1772 plugs.

I bought a 10m one some weeks ago from them and it was a very hard fit, just like you more concerned about my precious car than their lead, so haven't used it.

I measured the extraction force as 100~110N. It should be 45~80N. It's too high. My old lead (with ITT Canon connectors) has a ~35N extraction force now it is a bit old, and so the difference feels enormous! Reality is that it's only about 20% over the extraction force specification, but that specification is already dictating an acceptable tolerance.

I sent an email to evcables directly and got a reply from Richard Lim ([email protected]) who said he'd be happy to replace, but I heard nothing further for a week or so, so cancelled via Amazon who have now refunded the purchase price.

I still haven't received any instructions/labels for returning the one I have got, but I'm certainly not going to use it.

I think they are trying to deliver on a good service, but I suspect a bad batch and they are having to cope with it. I suggest you also ask for a refund via Amazon. There's some page you can leave a call-back telephone number, and they are very helpful once on the phone.

... Anyone else had a problem with evcables J1772 plugs?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if a suitable silicone or teflon spray would help. Has there been an ingress of dirt into the socket that needs wiping out?

Have you got a screw loose? In the plug of course.
I tried GT85 (the PTFE bike spray) gently on the plastic surfaces - nada. I cleaned all parts I could reach.

I have no screws loose. In the plug. The rest, well...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@redacted - nope, nothing you are doing, they are out of sepc J1772 plugs.
Sigh. Thanks.

I have avoided contacting them direct and going only through Amazon as if I need a refund it will be via Amazon and I don't want any excuses about breaking the process. As the cable is months old and did work for a while I will have to push the Sale of Goods Act and then, as it seems, the Marketplace Seller doesn't respond will invoke Amazon's claim process - which is great on the handful of occasions I have used it and why I stick with them.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,703 Posts
I have avoided contacting them direct and going only through Amazon as if I need a refund it will be via Amazon and I don't want any excuses about breaking the process. As the cable is months old and did work for a while I will have to push the Sale of Goods Act and then, as it seems, the Marketplace Seller doesn't respond will invoke Amazon's claim process - which is great on the handful of occasions I have used it and why I stick with them.
Indeed, as long as you don't annoy Amazon (i.e. return too much stuff), they are very good at being very much on the customers side. Unfortunately this can sometimes backfire as it makes it very easy for scammers, but for the honest public it works brilliantly.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While waiting to see if I get any response from evcables / amazon, I have just seen that Farnell stock a 32A 3m Multicomp cable which they list as £180+ in the UK. Their US site shows it as UK stock and on clearance at $101 (!) and I have ordered on for "free shipping" to my UK address. I wonder if their system will fulfill the order... The oddities of 'net based trade.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after two completely unresponsive cycles with trying to contact the seller via Amazon I mailed Amazon who are refunding the price on return of the faulty item.

The one I have ordered from Newark (Farnell US) may never arrive after a phone call with them so I have gone and ordered a full price one from Farnell UK - £190 - as it uses very different plugs from the pics. Fingers crossed it's better over time.

I hope the 16A 10m one I also have from EV Cables survives better with time. It is older but not been used as much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts