Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got a Nissan Leaf and a tethered type 1 charger. I've also got an Audi etron (type 2) which I'm currently charging using the granny cable through the kitchen window.

Is there such a thing as a type 1 female to type 2 male cable available? There's lots of the reverse available so leaf owners can use type 2 chargers, but I'm struggling to find what I need. Is it technically possible even?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks ideal thanks! We're considering another Leaf to run alongside our e-tron when our current one goes back so that would save me having to get the type cable installed (though I have already bought it lol)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Why not get a second home charge unit with a Type 2 socket or a tethered type 2 plug via the OLEV grant scheme for £149 or £199 respectively. Currently you are allowed a maximum of two per household when you have at least two EV type vehicles.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,235 Posts
There is no such thing as a Type 1 trailing socket, AFAIK. What you can get is a cludge if you are happy with flouting the J1772 standard.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @donald and @Colin, second charge point definitely sounds more doable then. Just spoke to an installer who said he wouldn't be happy using a type 1 female to type 2 male cable

·
Registered
145 Posts
I originally spoke with chargemaster to see if they would change my type 1 tethered to a type 2 socket, but they wanted to treat it as (and charge me £200 for) a whole new installation (I was lucky enough to get my tethered point installed when it was still free!).

A second chargepoint isn't feasible for me as the cable supplying by garage is only 3 core 2.5mmsq, which given the length of cable involved (as garage/drive at the rear of the house) means I am only able to run the one 16A chargepoint...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's my situation @Firemin. Could have the current one converted, but just as cheap to get another one fitted. Think I've worked out where it will go, then I'll have a Type 1 and a Type 2 charger!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts