Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 30KW Nissan Leaf to replace my previous Leaf (which used a Type 1 cable) and I took the cheaper option of buying a Type 1 > Type 2 adaptor cable. The electric supply to the garage (where I charge it) is from a secondary supply so there's only just enough electricity going into garage to keep the garage lights on and charge the car, and it keeps cutting out. I'm going to get our electrician to run a cable from the main supply to the garage to ensure a more consistent supply which might sort the problem.

However, I would like to get podpoint to put a new type 2 cable into the wall mount as they've told me that I'm not supposed to use adaptor cables but it's going to cost £300+ as I found out today!

Is it possible to buy the Type 2 cable and get an electrician to wire it up?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yeah, of course. Though it might not help your cutting out problem, unless you make sure you buy a 16Amp cable.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
evbitz.uk sell lots of EVSE items, like cable with attached Type-2 plug, great for converting old EVSE to newer style.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought a 30KW Nissan Leaf to replace my previous Leaf (which used a Type 1 cable) and I took the cheaper option of buying a Type 1 > Type 2 adaptor cable. The electric supply to the garage (where I charge it) is from a secondary supply so there's only just enough electricity going into garage to keep the garage lights on and charge the car, and it keeps cutting out. I'm going to get our electrician to run a cable from the main supply to the garage to ensure a more consistent supply which might sort the problem.

However, I would like to get podpoint to put a new type 2 cable into the wall mount as they've told me that I'm not supposed to use adaptor cables but it's going to cost £300+ as I found out today!

They'll be changing the cable cable and installing a 6ma DC bender.

How old is your unit? Have they priced you for a new type 2 PCB as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They'll be changing the cable cable and installing a 6ma DC bender.

How old is your unit? Have they priced you for a new type 2 PCB as well?
The wall unit is about 2.5-3 years old. The cable swap was £390 so i'm not sure whether than includes the new type 2 PCB - but presumably it won't work without it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah it will do, if it can't have a 6ma DC bender fitted it won't comply with current regs so will need one.

Ask exactly what works there doing.

Cable type 1 to type 2 swap - check.

Installing a 6ma DC bender?

Swapping a arch 1 PCB to a arch 2 PCB?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes.

We had a type 1 tethered 7kW podpoint installed when we got our Leaf 24 (mostly courtesy of nissan - paid the extra £95 to get the 7kW though, because I figured we'd need it in future, and I was right).

When we sold the Leaf, I bought an unused but second hand type 2 tethered lead from the classified on this forum for £75. Swapping the cable over is of similar complexity to wiring a plug. I then sold my old type 1 lead on ebay for £50.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
213 Posts

I went from type 1 Outlander to type 2 Kona and I have a Rolec charger with tethered cable - duh! I bought an adapter like this one. Been 6 months now and no issues at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts