Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally charge up from a council charger using my own type 2 cable into bmw i3.

Plugged in today and nothing. Locked and unlocked car, tried other chargers in the bank of 4. Chargers appeared ok ie correct lights on and blinking as normal.

There are no app or card issues as the chargers are free.

Car knew it had a cable plugged into it, as indicated on internal display. Another car in one of the bays was charging.

My car worked on granny charger earlier today and is charging at home via tethered lead.

Took plugs apart and checked for continuity with a multimeter. All fine.

I’ve reassembled then with a quick squirt of WD40.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
915 Posts
Could be dirty contacts. (Don't use WD40 IIWY.)

I would wrap some wet & dry paper around a small screwdriver and rub them down. Then maybe a lick of vaseline?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Did any of the pins show a higher resistance than the others? If I remember properly there’s a resistor that tells the charge post/car what the maximum cable amperage is. Is it possible that the resistor has failed short circuit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I’ll give that a go tomorrow.

It could be a combination of dirt in the charger socket and my lead’s plug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. There is a resistor between two on the connections at each end.

I found I had a small wire brush that fitted the terminals. This and a bit of normal WD40 did the trick. (I did this before I saw the comment above advising against using WD40)

To help prevent further problems I’ve bought a can of switch/contact cleaner and will keep a brush in the car. Halfords sell the cleaner, WD40’s brand of cleaner (in a more convenient can) or their own brand (cheaper)

The brushes are part of a router bush cleaning set. Google Trend, Router + Brush and you should find them. Carburettor cleaning brushed may also fit.

Obviously don't try to clean the chargers’s socket! (And possibly not the car’s either - but as I’m still here the car’s socket isn’t live)

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The charger's socket will be disconnected from mains when there's no car plugged in - that's what the internal Contactor is for. But I'd certainly isolate mine anyway - just in case there was some tiny short across the contactor poles or something! The mains voltage power lines are only live when the low-voltage 12V signalling line (CP) is chatting happily to the car, and the car has indicated it wants to charge.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Could be dirty contacts. (Don't use WD40 IIWY.)

I would wrap some wet & dry paper around a small screwdriver and rub them down. Then maybe a lick of vaseline?
NO! Abrasive paper like wet&dry is a terrible idea as it will remove any plating from the contacts - may work short-term but will make things way worse long-term.
Normal paper or card is abrasive enough to clean without damage, with some non-oily contact cleaner ( e.g. isopropyl alcahol or meths) to shift any oily deposits.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
623 Posts
I find switch cleaner and cotton buds work well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts