Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a few reports over the last few years of Type 2 cables getting stuck in the EVSE, with the drivers having to drive away w/o their cable. Just a few moments ago someone lost theirs entirely, as a thief took it before they were able to recover it, presumably after the helpline had unlocked it. (I suspect the unlocking of the cable invalidates any insurance cover that may have existed, but that's a side-thread maybe).

Having just got an Ioniq 38, this has settable options, and if I understand it right, one of the choices is that the cable stays locked in at the car end permanently, until I press a quick lock-unlock on the fob, which give me a few secs to pull it out. This sounds perfect to me, but I haven't yet had time to test this behaviour fully. Assuming this works as I think, I'm very tempted indeed to cutaway the small plastic bar that holds the plug locked into the EVSE. I suppose there's a risk someone else might unplug me in full flow, plug theirs in, and maybe the charge session would resume at my expense. But that's a risk I'm prepared to take, and far less expensive than buying a new cable. Whaddy'all think?

·
Registered
227 Posts
As soon as the charge stops (taking yours out) the cable is released at both ends.

When thief's click on these are a easy steal yours won't last long.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
As soon as the charge stops (taking yours out) the cable is released at both ends.

Nope. Hyundai's are selectable on either unlocking after charge ends or remaining locked to the car until the car is unlocked.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'm very tempted indeed to cutaway the small plastic bar that holds the plug locked into the EVSE
There are people who think this is a very bad idea.

However I have done this on mine and documented it. This is the thread Anti Locking a type 2 cable..
There are actually three places though the charge points will only use one ... but you don't know which and different designs may use different ones. So you need to daylight all three really.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
216 Posts
My main reservation about doing this is it allows any old joker to unplug your car while it’s charging because they think it’s amusing.

I think I would run the risk of having to contact the chargepoint operator and potentially wait with it until my cable was freed.

I once heard about a guy using a leather man multi tool to open the rear door of a charge point and pull the release lever.

Maybe a multi tool would be useful to carry! 😂

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I do have the small triangular key that's supposed to open all electrical cabinets known to man, but I'd rather not use that! & no way am I going to attack an EVSE with my Leatherman Surge!

Thx for that other thread & details pics, mikegs. I like mikeselectricstuff's idea of a rotatable locking ring, but I don't think this is practical; the hole on the flat face rather mucks this up, also there's really no space to integrate this on my existing plug, just not enough extra plastic around to go doing stuff. But what might work is create a small groove in the outer cylinder bit, as far away as poss from any pins, running parallel to the pins. Then make an elliptical cross-section rod, that runs the length of this groove, and give it an L-shaped crank handle at the hand-end of the pluggable section. This could act as an eccentric cam when rotated, creating a tight frictional clamp. While this won't be un-pull-outable, it might be sufficiently grippy to deter nuisance kids, especially if it can be tucked right underneath at the bottom & out of sight. I'll think about this.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
216 Posts
Well, I do have the small triangular key that's supposed to open all electrical cabinets known to man, but I'd rather not use that! & no way am I going to attack an EVSE with my Leatherman Surge!
😆

Wasn’t an endorsement, although if it was the middle of the night and raining and I wanted to get home I’ve got to admit I’d seriously consider it.

maybe it’s like the charge point equivalent of slapping the vending machine when the springy thing won’t release your bag of picked onion monster munch!

·
Registered
941 Posts

Nope. Hyundai's are selectable on either unlocking after charge ends or remaining locked to the car until the car is unlocked.
Have you a Hyundai Mike? Have you seen this in action?
The Model 3 also hangs onto the Type 2 cable until you tell it to let go (requires a bit of annoying fumbling with the app).

I've also had charge points (CPS at the Marriott Edinburgh) hang onto the cable after released at the car end, and had to phone CPS up to get it released.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
The Model 3 also hangs onto the Type 2 cable until you tell it to let go
If be surprised if it's only Hyundai and Tesla that (can) do this. I'd hope at least most high end models would have the option - down the budget end ... not so much.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
672 Posts
The downside of this mod is that if the latch does not open and you remove your modified connector, you don't realise that there has been a problem. The latch is left in place and the next person arriving at the charge point can't get their unmodified plug into the socket. So you've just left it to the next person arriving to phone in, if they recognise the issue at all. Swings and roundabouts of course. Ideally the network would be informed automatically and would clear the fault ...

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is ok to cut the locking tabs. I did this after the first time my cable became locked in a charging station (5 minute job using a Dremel). Here are the relevant specifications for a type 2 connector.

'IEC 62196 EV Charge Connector Assembly

4.2.1. Interlocking Device

The vehicle connector and/or the plug may include a means to allow engagement of an optional locking mechanism to reduce the likelihood of tampering or unauthorized removal. '

There is no need to have a locking mechanism it is optional.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
My main reservation about doing this is it allows any old joker to unplug your car while it’s charging because they think it’s amusing.

I think I would run the risk of having to contact the chargepoint operator and potentially wait with it until my cable was freed.

I once heard about a guy using a leather man multi tool to open the rear door of a charge point and pull the release lever.

Maybe a multi tool would be useful to carry! 😂
Opening a live unit is potentially very dangerous and possibly illegal - do not do it. (n)

How many people have sufferred from people removing Type 2 charge cables? I have to admit that I have (I believe as it is impossible to prove) sufferred a terminated charge by a PHEV driver at a Rapid - probably by the Emergency stop being pushed and leaving them charging with me at just over 50%. I reported it to the charge point owner who confirmed that the emergency stop had been used but no action was taken against the other driver as it was not possible to prove it was them. But at least my cable wasn't stolen (it was of course a tethered Chademo).

·
Registered
40 Leaf
216 Posts
Opening a live unit is potentially very dangerous and possibly illegal - do not do it. (n)
Again not in any way an endorsement of such behaviour, I believe the chap that did this was an electrical engineer as memory serves.

Although the irony is not lost that this warning has been posted on a thread that shows all and sunder how to go about modifying a 3 phase type 2 cable with a rotary multi tool! 🤣

I would hope that nobody ever touches any live electrical equipment, let alone something that contains 440v three phase!

This is liable to kill you instantly, I know a HVAC engineer that had a belt off 440, if he hadn’t been working with someone who knew CPR he probably wouldn’t have lived to tell the tale.

I once had a local kid unplug my BMW while it was charging on a portable charger, he tried the type 2 end first when he realised it was locked he unplugged the commando end then ran off with all his mates sniggering all captured by my CCTV and ring doorbell.

Some folks do think it’s amusing to unplug people’s cars.

I have set up the LEAF so it emails me and sends me a push message whenever it stops charging for this reason.

It has also occurred to me that by rendering your cable removable whilst the car is drawing a load could potentially cause an arc as it was withdrawn while charging that could damage the terminals in both the public charge point and the end of your type 2 cable.

Worse still if it were to be only partially withdrawn it could reduce the contact area to the point where I could overheat and potentially catch fire.

On that basis I’m pretty dubious about the whole concept.

After all your not supposed to unplug a type 2 until after the charge point base released it!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Again not in any way an endorsement of such behaviour, I believe the chap that did this was an electrical engineer as memory serves.

Although the irony is not lost that this warning has been posted on a thread that shows all and sunder how to go about modifying a 3 phase type 2 cable with a rotary multi tool! 🤣

I would hope that nobody ever touches any live electrical equipment, let alone something that contains 440v three phase!

This is liable to kill you instantly, I know a HVAC engineer that had a belt off 440, if he hadn’t been working with someone who knew CPR he probably wouldn’t have lived to tell the tale.

I once had a local kid unplug my BMW while it was charging on a portable charger, he tried the type 2 end first when he realised it was locked he unplugged the commando end then ran off with all his mates sniggering all captured by my CCTV and ring doorbell.

Some folks do think it’s amusing to unplug people’s cars.

I have set up the LEAF so it emails me and sends me a push message whenever it stops charging for this reason.

It has also occurred to me that by rendering your cable removable whilst the car is drawing a load could potentially cause an arc as it was withdrawn while charging that could damage the terminals in both the public charge point and the end of your type 2 cable.

Worse still if it were to be only partially withdrawn it could reduce the contact area to the point where I could overheat and potentially catch fire.

On that basis I’m pretty dubious about the whole concept.

After all your not supposed to unplug a type 2 until after the charge point base released it!!
So why under IEC 62196 is connector locking optional if it is potentially dangerous? Is this IEC badly implemented? How could it have passed scrutiny? Have you actually read IEC 62196, before you posted, as it deals with some of the issues you raise regarding temperature etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts

In theory neither of those should happen as the CP connector is intentionally short so that it disconnects before the power pins. If it's not pushed in fully there will be no current,

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The connecting signal pins are different lengths so no chance for an arc.

EDIT - already answered by @Gary Bainbridge

·
Registered
40 Leaf
216 Posts
I was playing devils advocate which is why I used the phrase “could potentially” the question is:

Is it a good idea to modify a commercially made connector so that it can operate outside of its intended design parameters?

Having googled this it appears the non locking side of a type 2 is the female side not the male, does this mean that all male connectors have the indents for the locking tabs?

When a charge point is type approved, tested and inspected / CE certified if it has locking pins is a scenario ever envisaged that the male plug being mated with it isn’t correctly seated or is it just assumed it will be locked in place because the design dictates that?

I installed fire alarm systems in the past sometimes in locations like petrol stations that could potentially have flammable atmospheres.

When this was the case we used intrinsically safe devices, but these devices were only classified as Ex when installed in accordance with the code and un-modified, any deviation from this rendered their Ex status null and void.

We can all surmise that chopping the locking pins out of a male type 2 will be fine and quote IEC 62196 i but can’t find a male type 2 without locking recesses.

Can anyone correct me?

If not nobody can be sure that they are not inadvertently causing a potential issue by doing this.

it’s uncharted territory.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts