Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone bought a type 2 cable set for their Ampera so we can use the Ecotricity chargers? This one seems to be right and is a pretty reasonable £132+VAT (so about £158 inc VAT):

https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=122

Anyone any thoughts? Is it worth it? At about £6.50/gallon for say 45 miles on average, compared to about £1/charge for the same miles, I'd have to do a full charge nearly 30 times to get my money back, and as it's at motorway service stations you're likely to only put in about 25-50% of a charge (1-2 hours) which means maybe 100 charges before it's worthwhile... unless I get my figures wrong?

In a similar vein, using Chargemaster seems too expensive too. They want £1.50/hr for type 2 chargers which I take to mean 16A; given it's 4 hours for a full charge, that's £6 - which is virtually the same price as a gallon of petrol - and they want £20/year on top of that.

Strikes me it's not worth it - just use the Ampera like a normal car and charge at home or whenever you get where you're going if you can :)

Richard

·
Registered
697 Posts
Check out the threads on Chargemaster pricing for my views on this!

I reckon it's significantly cheaper to use petrol than Chargemaster's electricity... About 1/3 cheaper...

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
This one seems to be right and is a pretty reasonable £132+VAT (so about £158 inc VAT):

https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=122

Anyone any thoughts? Is it worth it?
16A, 3m long, and that horrible stiff cable that's almost solid in the cold. IMO this will be of limited use and have almost no resale value. 16A cables are also known to have compatibility issues with some Charging Stations.

I would suggest you take a look at the 5m, 32A, "ZCW" cables from nuWorld Energy (here). They list at £174 (including VAT) but nuWorld give a 10% discount to Speak EV members (here) making it even cheaper than your proposed cable :)

Strikes me it's not worth it - just use the Ampera like a normal car and charge at home or whenever you get where you're going if you can :)
I suspect that most Charging Stations that charge a fee for the electricity will be uneconomic for Ampera owners because petrol will be cheaper :( My suggestion is that you search out charging locations where you get 'free' electricity while doing something else :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Many Ampera drivers have such a cable and if you want one then why not but I wouldn't. The whole point of buying an Ampera is that you are not tied to charging. It is much more convenient to not have to charge on route especially as you can only charge at 16A.

Do you really want to be hanging around a service station or in a car park to charge when you have the ability to continue your trip NOW? Sure, you will use a bit of petrol but that will only be on longer trips... the bulk of your normal, every day trips will be on battery charged overnight I expect.

I have one on these cables but I also have a Nissan Leaf so it is important for me to have the ability to charge from type 2 but if I only had an Ampera I wouldn't spend that much on something I would probably very rarely use.

You may have a different view and that is fine. I know many Ampera owners that think it is worth having the ability to charge from most public posts. The choice is yours :)

Just a point though... if you get one then I strongly recommend you get a 5m not 3m one. Many times the designated bay was occupied and blocked by a petrol car but I could still charge in the bay next to it with the longer cable. The extra costs is negligible. I'd also get it from a ZCW stockist. Better quality and supporting a good company too.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have a 5m type 2 to type 1 cable for my ampera. I use it for charging at home (in my local park and ride site), and for grabbing some charge when I am out and about. For example, I stopped for an hour to catch up on some emails etc, so I popped into Asda and used a charge station.
Sadly I tried two different Asda stores, both had 4 charge points which were all iced. First site I would have needed a 7m cable to get plugged in, the second site I squeezed on the end and my cable just reached. When an ice moved, I hopped into a real space and carried on charging. Had a good chat with a couple of taxi drivers whilst it was charging. Got the emails done that I needed to attend to, and gained 15 miles of range.
I wouldn't specifically aim to stop on route, but if I am stopping anyway, then every little helps ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
We have the one Kevin recomends for our Volt.
My wife uses it mostly to charge up when she is parked up all day at the train station. In fact she has change the station that she travels from because although it is a longer drive she can charge for free and the train ticket is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
We have the one Kevin recomends for our Volt.
My wife uses it mostly to charge up when she is parked up all day at the train station. In fact she has change the station that she travels from because although it is a longer drive she can charge for free and the train ticket is cheaper.
Double win ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
In the US public charging stations run by Blink around here are $1 for use... and if I can charge the Volt on it for 1 or 2 hours then it's less-expensive than gasoline (petrol). Certainly, if I can get onto a free (sponsored) Chargepoint station then I do that. I don't mind walking a quarter-mile or so, and I suspect that many (but certainly not all) Volt/Ampera owners are like-minded in order to avoid stopping at a petrol station.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I do agree that if it is convenient to charge then I am sure we will... but is it worth spending out £150?

·
Registered
707 Posts
In the US all charging stations are tethered (even public ones)... and all are Type 1 connectors. (I'm ignoring Tesla Superchargers and DC Quick Chargers, of course.) So I am not confronted with that issue, fortunately. It's really unfortunate that Opel/Vauxhall doesn't provide one with the vehicle purchase in Europe in addition to the brick.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
For me the sums made it worthwhile, over the 3 years I will have the Ampera, if I plug it in using the type 2 cable once per week for a full charge, or at least £1 worth, then it covers it's own cost.
In reality, I have had the cable since Monday and have used it 4 times already :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks everyone, lots of very good points and advice! As far as it goes, I think I won't bother buying a cable as I have a fast charger at home (I know not everyone has the luxury of being able to park their car within range of a charger). If I happen to be out and about and find a service station with free charging (Ecotricity ones, at least for now) or car parks (e.g. Pod Point) then I will simply because I might as well.

Off for the weekend to Lincolnshire for a weekend away - staying at a B&B with a free charging point!! :)

Richard

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a VERY good point... I had assumed from the picture that it's just a 3-pin mains adaptor point really, but it's a fast charger with a tethered cable, I think:

http://www.kingthorpemanorfarm.com/page21.htm

I'll ask them what type of connector it has. Does anyone recognise the charging point?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought it looked like my home charger. It really is a Betamax vs VHS vs Video 2000 thing going on yet again here (HD-DVD anyone?). I've emailed them to check. Thanks...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's what it looks like - should be ok for the Ampera :)
charging point photo.JPG

It's a Rolec charger, apparently...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

Richard
Yep, thats my philosophy, depends on your normal driving patterns, of course but works for me.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill
1 - 20 of 24 Posts