Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have an ID.3 on order and it is supplied with the following charging cable - Charging cable mode 3, Type 2: 7.2kW / 32 A.

I will be be mostly charging at my place of work which has a 22kW charger. Will the supplied cable give me the full 22kW of charge or will I need to upgrade the cable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ID.3 Didn't support 22kW AC last time I checked? It might do 11kW from memory but that would require a 3-Phase cable which most manufacturers don't give for free with their cars, other than Renault.
Yes you are correct, the ID3 has an 11kw on board charger. I will look into purchasing a 3 phase cable.

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS due soon - ID.3 Family gone :(
291 Posts
Errr....only work 4 days a week....long weekend has already started for me, sorry!

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is very interesting to read. Does that mean I cannot charge at a 22kw charger if their built-in cable isn't 3 phase, or would I get a poor charge rate?

This exchange explains the problems we have been having, watching in envy as every other car seems to be able to use the AC charging..

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
This is very interesting to read. Does that mean I cannot charge at a 22kw charger if their built-in cable isn't 3 phase, or would I get a poor charge rate?

This exchange explains the problems we have been having, watching in envy as every other car seems to be able to use the AC charging..
If a 22kW chargepoint has a tethered cable it will be 3-Phase. That's the only way you could possibly deliver so much power. If it's a socketed charger and you use your own cable that happens to be single phase then you will get 7kW from a 22kW chargepoint, or 3kW from a 11kW chargepoint.

AC Charging is dictated by the speed of your car's onboard charger. So if you have a 3 phase cable and a 22kW chargepoint, but your car only has a 11kW onboard charger, 11kW is the max your car will take over AC.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If a 22kW chargepoint has a tethered cable it will be 3-Phase. That's the only way you could possibly deliver so much power. If it's a socketed charger and you use your own cable that happens to be single phase then you will get 7kW from a 22kW chargepoint, or 3kW from a 11kW chargepoint.
Not quite, a type 2 cable is a type 2 cable is a type 2 cable regardless of whether it is tethered or not. Its just a cable with a plug on each end, there is no built in regulation

The cable that comes with the car will take 22kw happily if the EVSE it is plugged into can kick out 22kw. What is right though is that it is the car that dictates what the draw on the EVSE is as that's all the on board charger can handle when converting AC to DC for the battery. In the case of the ID3, that is 11kw. In some cars, a 22kw charger is installed and in others only a 3.6kw is fitted.

Households are limited to 7.6kw because that's all a 32amp draw will deliver (32 amps x 240v =7680w/7.6kw). You would need a 45 amp draw to supply 11kw and that's too much for some houses which are limited to a 60 amp mains fuse.

22kw is 3 phases at 32 amps (7.6kw x3). You very rarely get full performance due to voltage fluctuations and charging losses hence 7 and 22 are the numbers normally quoted.

Don't get too bogged down on how many phases of electric are supplied. All you need to know is that the car can take up to 11kw on the normal cable. That's a car limitation and not the cable.

A type 2 with the DC pins becomes a ccs plug and they can transfer much higher rates of energy because there is no conversion requirement between AC and DC for the battery. OK, that is not technically correct but think of it like that and you'll be fine. The limiting factor in that process is heat management.

You can use the type 2 cable supplied with the car on another car capable of 22kw charging without any issues.

You also need to remember that the vast majority of the public hasn't got a clue on how electricity gets to their plug, let alone how many phases are involved and where it comes from in the first place and the system needs to be foolproof for those users.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,635 Posts
Not quite, a type 2 cable is a type 2 cable is a type 2 cable regardless of whether it is tethered or not. Its just a cable with a plug on each end, there is no built in regulation
A tethered rapid would provide up to 43kW (64x240x3) on the AC side, and would obviously have a 3 phase cable.
A 22kW charging post would always be untethered (including when it’s an option on a Rapid with tethered CCS and Chademo. There would be a socket rather than a cable). In this case you would have to use your own type 2 cable supplied with your vehicle. If the vehicle has a 11kW OBC, it will be a 3 phase type 2 cable allowing you to charge at 11kW. If you borrowed someone else’s single phase type 2 cable (supplied with an EV with a 7kW OBC) you would only get 7kW. So a type 2 cable is not a type 2 cable is not a type 2 cable. There is a single phase one, and a 3 phase one. Nothing that @80698 said was incorrect.

·
Registered
543 Posts
A type 2 cable (by the letter of the spec) will do single and 3 phases. So yes a type 2 cable is a type 2 cable is a type 2 cable.

Whether you go and buy one from someone who wants to charge you more for all 3 phases to be fitted or not is a different story. It just means that someone is marketing them as different cables in order to justify selling multiple versions of the same product at different price points.

They should be built to a standard which is capable of transmitting either single or 3 phases.

There are tethered 22kw units not 200m from my home.

If you are using a cable rated only to 7kw, that by strict definition is not a type 2 cable. That would be a cable missing components masquerading as a type 2.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.