Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home charge point, a Rolec 32A / 7kW unit was installed in January 2018.
As I wanted a longer cable than standard an 'untethered' unit was installed.
After some delay I now have both the EV (a 94Ah i3) and a cable, however I cannot charge the car (except via the EVSE lead).
The charge point 'sees' the cable (the light changes from flashing to a steady glow) but cannot 'see' the vehicle.

The charge point installer has requested I test the cable, by using it at a different charge point, before they visit to examine the charge point. (With no car or cable available at the time they used a test box to check the installation originally).

Is anyone willing to let me test the Type 2 to Type 2 single phase cable at their location please?
'Local' would be handy, I'm in the Matlock / Alfreton / M1 Junc 28 area, although really distance, or time of day, shouldn't be a problem for me.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip about Podpoint, as an inexperienced EV owner I hadn't realised their charging points were socket only (no lead). Found Sainsbury's OK, just took one & half slow laps of the parking area before I found the charge point! Both outlets were servicable and not being used.
After I had worked out how to stop the charge and unlock the cables without using the app I can now say that both my 5m BMW cable and my 10m Rolec cable have now been proven to work.

I am now awaiting a call back from an engineer of the installation firm to find out what happens next.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know, but 'circumstantial' is always going to be just that.
Tested and proven gives me certainty, and access to any moral high ground that might exist.
Besides, my knowledge base has improved as well, so I'm not too fussed about the experience.

Mind you, I'll be relieved when the whole saga of buying this car, and its 'essential' accessories, is over.
The car has it's good and bad points, but the people .... 99% negative. The only one that gets a plus point is a Customer Service Manager, and I'm only involved with her because of the shortcomings of her colleagues.

Regards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts