Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this may be a stupid question but...

I’m trying to find a cheap cable for my 330e and have been offered what appears to be a type 2 cable but with the bottom two prongs missing.

I think that these are the connectors which allow for 3 phase charging and so if I’m happy with 1 phase then this should be fine.

Does this sound right? Or am I looking at a dodgy cable?

the brand is Phoenix contact and it apparently initially supplied with a Vauxhall.

many thanks,
B

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
That sounds about right. But what Vauxhall? If was an Ampera, that used the earlier Type-1 plug, smaller, and physically won't fit your 330e. No probs if it's off a recent PSA-rebadged Vauxahll.

It looks like the 330e can charge at 7kW, so make sure the cable is rated for 32A. It will still work with one rated 16A, but only half the speed! If it's off a full EV, then I'd expect to see 32A on the cable itself, so don't get mis-sold one that has 20A on the sheath. Yo can see pics if yo go t e.g. evconnectors.com & put in your car details, also the other car. Doesn't look like you have 3-phase charging on your car, but if you have, expect to see numbers like 11 kW or 22kW somewhere in the manual. 3-phase is an option on some EVs, plenty of scope for confusion!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone.

It says 32A on the cable and the 330e can only only charge at 3.7kW anyway - it isn’t a huge battery - and so I think everything should be fine.

CEB98941-A5BD-4578-B4D2-F411CBB0F30B.jpeg 92205F51-F364-4B63-8368-4335287D47EC.jpeg

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Yup, does look weird, they're just saving plastic! You'll be fine with that cable. Just make sure it's long enough to reach from your EVSE to the car. I got myself a super-long 10m one, as EVSE inside gge while car's out on the driveway, and plugs in at the far end.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Still looks weird though
It's very common practice with multi-pole connectors to only fit the pins (and cable cores) that are being used.
Often catches the unwary out with audio/video cables which aren't 'full complement' and thus don't support certain less common functions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts