Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question please.
I have just purchased a BMW i3S. The car is an ex dealer demonstrator on a 69 plate.
There is only the mode 2, 13amp charger with the vehicle. Were these supplied with a type two rapid charge cable as standard, or is that an optional purchase?
Clearly if the car was initially supplied with one, it's an issue I'll pursue with the sales team.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
BMW only supply the 3 Pin granny cable. The type 2 cable is bought at your own expense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers thanks for the swift response.
I do have one from my previous 330E, but just wondered if one should have been supplied with the i3S.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Cheers thanks for the swift response.
I do have one from my previous 330E, but just wondered if one should have been supplied with the i3S.
That cable should be fine for your new i3, the only thing is it's only going to be single phase most likely so is only good for 7kW, and you'll not get the faster 11kW rate at some of the 3-Phase public charge posts.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The 330e only charges at 3.6kW I would not be surprised if the cable may only be 16A single phase one and limited on that basis, a couple of people at work have bought the 11kW cable form BMW and they were not silly money.

Plug it in a see what you get you may be sorted already, it will certainly work but if it is single phase and 16A it is not ideal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I purchased a i3s demonstrator on first of July and mine came with both granny and the type 2 cable.
Maybe its up to the dealership as to whether they throw one in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No cable you could purchase would be a Rapid Charge cable! They are all tethered to the charge unit and utilise both ports on the car. But agree purchasing or asking the dealer for a 32A type 2 cable is the way to go for most other chargers.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
No cable you could purchase would be a Rapid Charge cable! They are all tethered to the charge unit and utilise both ports on the car. But agree purchasing or asking the dealer for a 32A type 2 cable is the way to go for most other chargers.
Unfortunately BMW decided it was a good idea to call type 2 cables 'rapid' simply because they're faster than granny charging.

While you're right, true rapid charging means using a tethered CCS cable, OP is actually using the correct BMW terminology.

·
Registered
713 Posts
When I bought my i3 20 months ago there was no Type 2 cable so I queried it and was told that, yes, it was an omission because at that time there was an “offer” to include them. So, it was a temporary thing.
The three phase unit is a lot more heavy and expensive and is only of use on untethered three phase public chargers which are somewhat limited. Our dealer said they were very rarely requested.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
456 Posts
Older cars didn't come with them. March 2020 was the first shipments of i3s in the UK that came with dealer supplied 7kw type 2 cables. Some of us blagged an upgrade to the 11kw three phase cable as part of the deal...

I'd admit I leave it in the car for occasional use at public charge points and also bought a used 7kw single phase cable for everyday use at home, just because it's noticeably lighter and easier to manoeuvre..

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Older cars didn't come with them. March 2020 was the first shipments of i3s in the UK that came with dealer supplied 7kw type 2 cables. Some of us blagged an upgrade to the 11kw three phase cable as part of the deal...

I'd admit I leave it in the car for occasional use at public charge points and also bought a used 7kw single phase cable for everyday use at home, just because it's noticeably lighter and easier to manoeuvre..
Older cars (2015 i3 REx) did come with a free cable. When I bought my i3 120 last year, BMW i was offering a free cable but my dealer wasn’t aware of this until they checked with BMW. I was able to get them to agree to a 3 phase cable for the difference in price.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
456 Posts
Older cars (2015 i3 REx) did come with a free cable. When I bought my i3 120 last year, BMW i was offering a free cable but my dealer wasn’t aware of this until they checked with BMW. I was able to get them to agree to a 3 phase cable for the difference in price.
Ok maybe my dealer was just as unsure, he didn't know anything about it until I turned up to collect the car. Mine did the cable upgrade for free.. :). (tho I did offer to pay!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I got mine last year I negotiated a 8 meter cable as part of the deal. Since then got a BMW single phase also brand new from a dealership via eBay for about £100 they even did a proper invoice linked to my car so I got the full warranty on it. This is small and light weight in comparison to the longer cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts