Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase a type 2 cable for my Leaf to allow me to charge from public charge points?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I could not get a reply from them on this, but I wanted to know if the type1 connector that plugs into the front of the Leaf on their cables, supports the auto locking function, meaning that someone cannot come along and unplug the cable from the front of the car ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The cables that @knoxie listed there look like pretty good value.

Just bear in mind that they are 16A only. If you have a Leaf with a 6.6kW charger then those cables will only charge at 16A max... 3.6kW.

They do a 32A version though at £173 + VAT for the 5m. Still, not a bad price :)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Also beware! Apparently some 32A charging posts will refuse to work with a 16A cable, even if you only have a 16A car!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yes well spotted, Its good to a big player like Farnell dipping its toe in the water and at a price that is reasonable as well, seem the cables are getting cheaper as the price to charge at the posts is going up! still its a useful cable to have if all else fails and wont break the bank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also beware! Apparently some 32A charging posts will refuse to work with a 16A cable, even if you only have a 16A car!
I did see this mentioned some time back.. so is this really the case ? I think i had better upgrade my order then. I was hoping to get a cable 1kg lighter! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've experienced this just once in Milton Keynes.... but then the post had a great big 32AMP sticker on it...... all other posts have worked fine.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
matt I have a 16 amp cable and never had a single issue with any charging stations, I suspect it was just a few odd cables.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cables that @knoxie listed there look like pretty good value.

Just bear in mind that they are 16A only. If you have a Leaf with a 6.6kW charger then those cables will only charge at 16A max... 3.6kW.

They do a 32A version though at £173 + VAT for the 5m. Still, not a bad price :)
Paul,
My car has the standard 3.6kW charger, is it still worth getting the 32A cable?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone got one of these cables ?

I just wondered if they supported the auto lock function on the Gen2 Leaf.. Farnell can't seem to tell me.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
I just wondered if they supported the auto lock function on the Gen2 Leaf.. Farnell can't seem to tell me.
Depends on which generation "J1772" connectors they are using... if they can't tell you then proceed with caution if this is an important feature :rolleyes:

The ZCW cables have supported the Leaf lock feature for the last 18 months or so :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts