Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my type 2 plug stayed locked in the charging post. I phoned the provider and they were able to remotely release it. (I had visions of having to leave my £150 cable behind).

Has anyone cut slots in the plug to prevent the plug being locked in place. I would be interested to know if others have done this before I take the Dremel to my plug.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Be prepared for other people unplugging your car to plug theirs in at public posts.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
See this thread- Charging Cable Locked In
post #13
Exactly!
As an aside, I was very dissapointed when I checked my sentry mode recordings, 3 other EV users all occupied the other bays within an hour of me being there, every person tried to forcibly remove my cable so they could plug in, to make things worse all hybrids, whereas my model 3 needs to do a 150mile round trip of the charge.
So if you stop the lock working one of those b'stards will disconnect you. And having learned once that they can do it they will continue to try, damaging other people's cables, and targeting yours.

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the reasons mentioned above, don’t do it.
As relatively early adopters we need to help carve out a straight path as possible in what becomes the norm (yeh very idealistic). Once an EV driver, or even an ASBO-worthy passing member of public, finds out they were able to successfully unplug a charging cable, believe me they’ll continue to try others whenever they get an opportunity, potentially causing damage.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the reasons mentioned above, don’t do it.
As relatively early adopters we need to help carve out a straight path as possible in what becomes the norm (yeh very idealistic). Once an EV driver, or even an ASBO-worthy passing member of public, finds out they were able to successfully unplug a charging cable, believe me they’ll continue to try others whenever they get an opportunity, potentially causing damage.
ASBO-worthy individuals if they seek do do damage will do it anyway. You just have to give the plastic connector a good kick or two to destroy it. I would rather not have my cable trapped by a machine when I come to collect my car. I could be hundreds of miles into my journey an now with no means to further recharge.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
There's a difference between doing criminal damage and causing inconvenience. Very few of the criminal damage variety will just break your cable, they will do worse as well.
How many people are you aware of that have had to leave cables behind? I anecdotally know of people who have been delayed by it, but none who have actually had to abandon their cable.
If you are willing to risk being disconnected then you'll also make the situation worse for the rest of us as the B*stards start discovering it's worth trying and start damaging the locking pins. Pretty much like anti-vaccs people that perpetuate diseases.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All ev's have a range problem, compared to ICE cars and the lack of a proper charging infrastructure is a drawback for ev's. The technology in some charging stations is very poor. Once the cable is unplugged at the car the mechanism in the charging station should cut power to the locking mechanism (which should be spring loaded to release the locking pins). To overcome the problem of my cable being trapped by a machine I have modified my plug. If someone is going to interfere with or damage an ev they will do so whether the plug is modified or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts