Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Tesla decided not to supply the 13amp EVSE with the model S in the UK I have been searching around for a 3rd party option. A few are now on the market all are quite expensive but I need it as a backup just in case.

I decided on the evconnectors 13amp plug to type 2 EVSE, its rated a max 10amps so should not cause any problems with UK plugs, can be lowered to either 6 or 8 amps if you wish. Well made, simple diagnostics and feels like a quality product.

Should work with most type 2 cars
Dropbox_-_IMG_0607_JPG.jpg
Dropbox_-_IMG_0605_JPG.jpg
Dropbox_-_IMG_0606_JPG.jpg

Now I just need my Model S to test it

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Perhaps they were trying to avoid feeling of shame-faced ridicule as the Tesla owner plugs their leading-edge £100k car into a lowly 13amp socket, in the full knowledge that it will be ready to drive in, what, a week? :D

I jest, of course. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with feelings of jealousy...

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Looks like a good product, I'm sure you're counting down the days....!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hang on.... you pay up to £100k for a Model S... and you don't even get a 13A cable? :eek:
yep, now everything I say is my own opinion :)

The UMC as its called in telsa speak is rated at 16amps (can go higher with other plugs) so works fine in Europe with their fancy schuco plugs, but with our plugs although we call them 13amp really they are not designed to take more than 10amps for a long period unless your home wiring etc is very high quality. I believe the UMC was removed to stop a potential issue with the UMC trying to draw 16amps through a UK domestic socket, which would likely blow fuses or in the worst situation cause a fire.

So until they have a solution telsa stated they were going to ship a 7.5m type 2 cable (since we can get free charging stations in the UK, -before the change of rules) and a 13 amp option would come later. So its swings and roundabouts, play for a type 2 get a free 13amp or get a free type 2 and pay for 13amps.

It does seem they are going to offer a Mekennes version however no price or availability yet .

Rather that wait I sourced my own :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps they were trying to avoid feeling of shame-faced ridicule as the Tesla owner plugs their leading-edge £100k car into a lowly 13amp socket, in the full knowledge that it will be ready to drive in, what, a week? :D
about 36-40 hours to fully charge from flat for a 85kw :)

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Hang on.... you pay up to £100k for a Model S... and you don't even get a 13A cable? :eek:
Yeah they were originally going to ship with a Universal Mobile Connector, basically an EVSE which you can pop a commando or domestic socket on the other end of. But, it looked like you'd be limited to a 16A three phase (red commando) or 32A single phase (blue commando) option.

Now the UMC is a handy thing to have, and for Roadster owners it works fine, and for US owners who have to cope with everything from a 15A110v 2 pin socket, tethered 80A J1772 chargepoints, at least two different types of of 208V (or 230V) connectors, and the deprecated versions of those connectors, it's a godsend. For keen early adopters who know the difference between a 16A commando and 32A commando, and the fact that the commando socket is probably always live (!) then it's fine. In the UK it should be more straightforward, connect to a Type2 socket, the end. The car comes with a nice type2 to type2 lead instead of the UMC, and Tesla have been working with chargemaster to get EVSE's installed at people's homes.

I do agree a 3 pin "brick" would be a sensible accessory for the car, but it would take, at 10A, about 36 hours to fill an 85kwh car from empty, which is not good PR!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
about 36-40 hours to fully charge from flat for a 85kw :)
Yes, I deliberately came over all "Daily Mail" there, please forgive me! I would usually check my facts but as I was only jesting a week seemed more appropriate. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Yes, I deliberately came over all "Daily Mail" there, please forgive me! I would usually check my facts but as I was only jesting a week seemed more appropriate. :)
For someone in the USA on a 15A 110v connection it's over 50 hours.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL I am sure it will feel like a week, but given I have only used the 13amp EVSE on the leaf about 10 times in 3 years I dont think its much of an issue.

Coming over all daily mail makes me want to take a shower afterwards :p

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
So, if I take my C-Zero to a holiday cottage, or a Leaf, or a BMW i3, or pretty much any EV (other than a Zoe!) I can plug it in overnight while there. However, if I buy a Model S I have to first convince the holiday cottage owner to install a Type-2 charger?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, if I take my C-Zero to a holiday cottage, or a Leaf, or a BMW i3, or pretty much any EV (other than a Zoe!) I can plug it in overnight while there. However, if I buy a Model S I have to first convince the holiday cottage owner to install a Type-2 charger?
yes unless you have a 13amp to type 2 evse. However dont forget the Model S has a much longer range so you many not need to charge overnight

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Doesn't Tesla recommend that the Model S should be kept plugged in when outside temperatures are low to ensure that the batteries do not lose too much charge whilst capacity is used to keep them warm?
If so, then a 13A EVSE would probably be essential in winter when staying somewhere without a Type 2 charger?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesn't Tesla recommend that the Model S should be kept plugged in when outside temperatures are low to ensure that the batteries do not lose too much charge whilst capacity is used to keep them warm?
If so, then a 13A EVSE would probably be essential in winter when staying somewhere without a Type 2 charger?
They recommend you keep it plugged in no matter what, it does have active battery heating and cooling so yes I would imagine your right

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
LOL I am sure it will feel like a week, but given I have only used the 13amp EVSE on the leaf about 10 times in 3 years I dont think its much of an issue.

Coming over all daily mail makes me want to take a shower afterwards :p
I felt dirty just typing the words, TBH.

Reactions: jontracey

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
yes unless you have a 13amp to type 2 evse. However dont forget the Model S has a much longer range so you many not need to charge overnight
Precisely. I'm taking my Leaf to the Isle of Wight in a couple of weeks, and will be hanging the EVSE out of a window overnight (classy). I'll probably do less than 200 miles in the week, so assuming I charged at Southampton while waiting for the ferry I probably wouldn't need to charge an S again.

Your mileage/cottage may vary! :D

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
You could level this same criticism at every Leaf with the 6.6kw charger, or every single Zoe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts