Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Type 2 EVSE - from EVconnectors.com

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Edd Beesley 
#1 ·
Since Tesla decided not to supply the 13amp EVSE with the model S in the UK I have been searching around for a 3rd party option. A few are now on the market all are quite expensive but I need it as a backup just in case.

I decided on the evconnectors 13amp plug to type 2 EVSE, its rated a max 10amps so should not cause any problems with UK plugs, can be lowered to either 6 or 8 amps if you wish. Well made, simple diagnostics and feels like a quality product.

Should work with most type 2 cars
Cable Wire Electronic device Electrical connector Technology
Headphones Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Headset
Electronic device Technology

Now I just need my Model S to test it

See less See more
#6 ·
yep, now everything I say is my own opinion :)

The UMC as its called in telsa speak is rated at 16amps (can go higher with other plugs) so works fine in Europe with their fancy schuco plugs, but with our plugs although we call them 13amp really they are not designed to take more than 10amps for a long period unless your home wiring etc is very high quality. I believe the UMC was removed to stop a potential issue with the UMC trying to draw 16amps through a UK domestic socket, which would likely blow fuses or in the worst situation cause a fire.

So until they have a solution telsa stated they were going to ship a 7.5m type 2 cable (since we can get free charging stations in the UK, -before the change of rules) and a 13 amp option would come later. So its swings and roundabouts, play for a type 2 get a free 13amp or get a free type 2 and pay for 13amps.

It does seem they are going to offer a Mekennes version however no price or availability yet .

Rather that wait I sourced my own :)

#4 ·
Perhaps they were trying to avoid feeling of shame-faced ridicule as the Tesla owner plugs their leading-edge £100k car into a lowly 13amp socket, in the full knowledge that it will be ready to drive in, what, a week? :D

I jest, of course. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with feelings of jealousy...

#16 ·
Doesn't Tesla recommend that the Model S should be kept plugged in when outside temperatures are low to ensure that the batteries do not lose too much charge whilst capacity is used to keep them warm?
If so, then a 13A EVSE would probably be essential in winter when staying somewhere without a Type 2 charger?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.