Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

We currently have an EV parked in front of our house right next to our charger which is great. Due to a slight change in circumstances, we have just ordered a second EV which we want to park next to the garage. This is right at the end of our driveway, a good 10m away from the charger.

Ideally I'd like to buy a 15m type-2 extension cable and run it through my garden (under the borders) to where the new car will be parked. Then when I want to charge up, I'll just connect my tethered charger to the extension.

Something like this - https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/se...rt-fortwo-electric-drive/type2-extension.html

any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,885 Posts
The trite answer is that the standards do not allow any extension cables. The more helpful answer is that the cable is not designed to be buried and has no mechanical protection so so really shouldn't be buried. The realistic answer is that it'll probably be OK but if someone sticks a spade into it then they are likely to die. :eek:

Edit to add - I saw someone stick an iron bar into a buried 11kV cable once and get away with it as they hit the Neutral first - only new underwear was required. But you may not be so lucky.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trite answer is that the standards do not allow any extension cables. The more helpful answer is that the cable is not designed to be buried and has no mechanical protection so so really shouldn't be buried. The realistic answer is that it'll probably be OK but if someone sticks a spade into it then they are likely to die. :eek:

Edit to add - I saw someone stick an iron bar into a buried 11kV cable once and get away with it as they hit the Neutral first - only new underwear was required. But you may not be so lucky.
Thanks for the reply. If the standards do not allow extension cables, how are they allowed the sell them? Would putting the cable in galv conduit be good enough? Failing that, I'll just run the cable down the driveway when it needs charging. Would be a pain though.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,836 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If the standards do not allow extension cables, how are they allowed the sell them? Would putting the cable in galv conduit be good enough? Failing that, I'll just run the cable down the driveway when it needs charging. Would be a pain though.
I'd just get an extension cable that's rated to 3 kW sustained load and put it in some sort of protective conduit as you say.

Be aware the portable charger might not work if the voltage drop is too high. Also, be aware of the plug overheating at either end.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd just get an extension cable that's rated to 3 kW sustained load and put it in some sort of protective conduit as you say.

Be aware the portable charger might not work if the voltage drop is too high. Also, be aware of the plug overheating at either end.
Just to clarify I'm talking about a 7kw type2 extension cable from my home charging pod

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,885 Posts
If the standards do not allow extension cables, how are they allowed the sell them?
Good question. I suspect that it is lack of knowledge on the part of Trading Standards, but you'd hope that the retailer would know better.
Would putting the cable in galv conduit be good enough?
In practice, Yes, but it'll need to be a large diameter to pass the plug/socket through.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good question. I suspect that it is lack of knowledge on the part of Trading Standards, but you'd hope that the retailer would know better.

In practice, Yes, but it'll need to be a large diameter to pass the plug/socket through.
I wondered about actually threading it through the conduit. Maybe they sell the stuff where you can opened it up and lay it in. That said, I still have the issue of getting the cable under the fence at the end. I'll have to have a good think. It might not come to anything, and I'll have to rethink my entire plan.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Design 2.4
83 Posts
Armour plated cable

450mm in pavements etc to the top of the cable so 500mm is minimum really.

600mm in road crossings

900mm in Farmland

About 4 years ago we brought a new bungalow and required power to the garage and used our own electrician, as recommended by our electrician we buried the cable 900mm, apparently only 450mm below paving, we stuck with the 900mm to play safe.

However several other used the site electrical contractor who just laid the cable underneath the slabs and just below the soil, which I personally thought was dangerous, but again I am not an electrician.

My advice if you cannot do it safely find some one who can.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,885 Posts
I wondered about actually threading it through the conduit. Maybe they sell the stuff where you can opened it up and lay it in. That said, I still have the issue of getting the cable under the fence at the end. I'll have to have a good think. It might not come to anything, and I'll have to rethink my entire plan.
It would make more sense to either buy and install a second charge point - if you have two cars you can claim the grant again, or to buy another tethered lead and a changeover switch to allow you to use the current EVSE on one car at a time.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,836 Posts
Yep, they do. Will it fit in something like this:

Type 2 cables already have some protection I believe.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
If the standards do not allow extension cables, how are they allowed the sell them?
There are many things that fall into this category. The standards are just that - they aren't always a legal requirement.
There are also products that it is illegal to use in the UK but you can still legally buy them.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
buried 11kV cable once and get away with it as they hit the Neutral first
11kV cables don't usually have a neutral, just the 3 phases. They do have an all-round earthed metal sheath/armour, so you will always hit that first.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,885 Posts
Type 2 cables already have some protection I believe.

Only minimal protection - far from the amount of decent SWA, but then they are intended for lighter use and to be flexible.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Armour plated cable

450mm in pavements etc to the top of the cable so 500mm is minimum really.

600mm in road crossings

900mm in Farmland

About 4 years ago we brought a new bungalow and required power to the garage and used our own electrician, as recommended by our electrician we buried the cable 900mm, apparently only 450mm below paving, we stuck with the 900mm to play safe.

However several other used the site electrical contractor who just laid the cable underneath the slabs and just below the soil, which I personally thought was dangerous, but again I am not an electrician.

My advice if you cannot do it safely find some one who can.
Are we referring to Steel Wired Armoured cable?

It's not exactly armour plated!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
if someone sticks a spade into it then they are likely to die. :eek:
Highly unlikely, firstly it would only be live when the car is actually charging, secondly they would need to be using a spade with a conductive path to the handle, and thirdly the RCD in the charge point would likely trip from the conductivity between the blade and the surrounding soil.

There may be issues with long-term damage to the cable from stuff in the soil - if you can clip it along a fence that would be better.

However 15m (+tether) is quite a long run, so you will lose some efficiency, and it's possible you may get signal quality issues with the CP signal.

The way I'd do it is run a 10mm^2 armoured cable to a new charge-point, and if necessary add current-sharing if the cars are likely to be charging at the same time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ideally I'd like to buy a 15m type-2 extension cable and run it through my garden (under the borders) to where the new car will be parked.
Would it be easier to run the cable above ground? I don’t think it needs to be armoured that way.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Hi Everyone,

We currently have an EV parked in front of our house right next to our charger which is great. Due to a slight change in circumstances, we have just ordered a second EV which we want to park next to the garage. This is right at the end of our driveway, a good 10m away from the charger.

Ideally I'd like to buy a 15m type-2 extension cable and run it through my garden (under the borders) to where the new car will be parked. Then when I want to charge up, I'll just connect my tethered charger to the extension.

Something like this - Gen3.2 Type 2 Extension / Type 2 charging cable

Hi Glen, you have had some good replies. My main addition to the debate would be to add

1/ Yes you can do it if you want, it will work
2/ You might want to spend the money on something more permanent and safer
3/ Dont buy the cable or run it in conduit, the cable is not designed or rated for that
4/ It might be better to lay the cable on some chippings in the boarder to allow for drainage (so it dosn't sit submerged
6/ At the car end, you might want to think about fastening to a post or similar so the the socket is facing downwards and dosn't collect water
7/ Understand the safety limitations of what you are doing - and ensure other members of your household do as well.
8/ Be absolutely vigilant about checking the RCD protection and setup (separate to the house, 6mA DC etc)
best of luck
any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Hi Glen, you have had some good replies. My main addition to the debate would be to add

1/ Yes you can do it if you want, it will work
2/ You might want to spend the money on something more permanent and safer
3/ Dont buy the cable or run it in conduit, the cable is not designed or rated for that
4/ It might be better to lay the cable on some chippings in the boarder to allow for drainage (so it dosn't sit submerged
6/ At the car end, you might want to think about fastening to a post or similar so the the socket is facing downwards and dosn't collect water
7/ Understand the safety limitations of what you are doing - and ensure other members of your household do as well.
8/ Be absolutely vigilant about checking the RCD protection and setup (separate to the house, 6mA DC etc)
best of luck
any ideas?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts