Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I’ve just ordered an electric scooter/motorbike, it’s only option for charging us via 3 pin. I could do with a relatively inexpensive ‘get-you-home’ option for turning a socketed type 2 charger into a 3 pin socket (the end of which will terminate in a dry compartment on the bike.
As with most things in my life, I don’t have a practical or easily explainable reason for really requiring this, I could probably knock on someone’s door if I’m in the shit and offer them £5 for their electric, I’d probably get a brew and a chat too, the battery can also be removed, so at a push it can be carried into a pub and charged while I eat.
But... I’d stil like this converter, if it can be built out of a plug and parts ?

anyoenknow why the plug by itself is £70 ? I guess it’s got some electronics inside for the ‘handshake’? And yet for a bit of wire terminating in a socket, it’s £140 ?

clearly, it’s not worth either of those prices for my occasional use, but thought I’d post on this forum in the events that any of you guys have any advice ?

many thanks

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Type 2 involves 5 wires - there are two for communication between the vehicle and charge-point.
You'd need to stimulate that communication or the charge-point will refuse to turn the juice on.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The plug is a heavy duty item designed for continuous use at 32 Amps or more, upto 63Amps I think. Hence the plug price, they are also not made in vast quantities yet which doesn't help. The adapters contain some electronics so the EVSE (wall box) will turn on - these are semi-intelligent sockets so will not enable without assuming a car or similar is attached.
£140 seems about right I believe @Grumpy-b does or used to do one as well.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Hi guys. I’ve just ordered an electric scooter/motorbike, it’s only option for charging us via 3 pin. I could do with a relatively inexpensive ‘get-you-home’ option for turning a socketed type 2 charger into a 3 pin socket (the end of which will terminate in a dry compartment on the bike.
As with most things in my life, I don’t have a practical or easily explainable reason for really requiring this, I could probably knock on someone’s door if I’m in the shit and offer them £5 for their electric, I’d probably get a brew and a chat too, the battery can also be removed, so at a push it can be carried into a pub and charged while I eat.
But... I’d stil like this converter, if it can be built out of a plug and parts ?

anyoenknow why the plug by itself is £70 ? I guess it’s got some electronics inside for the ‘handshake’? And yet for a bit of wire terminating in a socket, it’s £140 ?

clearly, it’s not worth either of those prices for my occasional use, but thought I’d post on this forum in the events that any of you guys have any advice ?

many thanks
Google Twizzy Adaptor

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The other possible limitation is , what current does your scooter take? Easy enough to fake the car's connected, but the CP line carries a signal saying anything from 6A upwards. But maybe it's safe to assume that 3Kw will always be available at any Type 2 EVSE found at supermarkets etc? I.e. 16A sure to be available?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts